chapter-18

While making his way to school the next day, Izuku sensed an unusual tension in the air between him and his mother. The atmosphere was difficult to pinpoint, and as he bid Inko farewell, the words 'I love you' left his lips, leaving a peculiar taste in his mouth behind. Despite wanting to believe his mother's assurances, Izuku's gut instincts contradicted her words.

The commencement of finals marked the beginning of a challenging week for Izuku at college. Hindered by his stress and anxiety issues, he wasn't fully prepared. Anxiety is a common experience for everyone, but Izuku, facing more severe episodes, relied on medication—a fact once mocked by his bullies.

As each period passed and exams unfolded, Izuku felt the weight of his mother's expectations pressuring him. The burden seemed insurmountable, leading him to yearn for release—a lifeless body adrift like a feather in the wind. However, his mother's expectations surpassed the bounds of human possibility.

A familiar voice interrupted Izuku's thoughts. "Hey, how are you holding up?" Iida, with his glasses nearly falling off, stood behind Izuku. With a snort, Izuku turned to face him, a small smile forming at the corners of his mouth. Iida draped an arm around Izuku's neck, guiding him to an outdoor cafe.

"Why haven't we caught up lately? It's the end of the semester," Iida observed, diverting his attention from Izuku and positioning himself in front of him.

"I know, and I apologize. There's been a lot going on recently," Izuku responded, rubbing his head and avoiding eye contact. Glancing up, he tried to smile at his friend, only to have the moment disrupted by a buzzing phone in his pocket.

While Iida immersed himself in something else, Izuku retrieved his phone, perusing Katsukis' text. It contained a surprisingly sweet message, causing his heart to skip a beat.

Hey, Izu. I just wanted to let you know that my foolish friends dragged me to a beach gathering and wondered if you could join. Text me when you can if you're up for it.

Katsuki

Iida nudged Izuku, indicating it was his turn to make a request. Tucking his phone away, Izuku ordered what he wanted before heading to the other side of the cafe to pick up his order. They settled outside for a chat.

"So, spill the beans. What's happened since the dance you attended?" Iida inquired, sipping his coffee while closely observing Izuku's demeanor. Izuku's body tensed, and his legs tapped rhythmically.

"Not much, honestly. Work's been consuming most of my time," Izuku replied, not entirely truthful due to his mother's tumultuous episodes. He cleared his throat. "I've been catching up on my latest manga series, though," he smiled, though Iida sensed the smile was forced rather than genuine.

"Izuku, we've been pals since middle school. You can share anything with me, and I wouldn't judge you, you know that... right?" Iida adjusted his glasses after placing his cup on the table. Izuku's eyes widened at his best friend's words.

"Yeah, of course, I know that. I appreciate you, and from day one, you've had my back, but... it's just too embarrassing to discuss," Izuku admitted, a lump forming in his throat, resisting blinking to hold back tears.

Iida leaned back, studying Izuku's troubled expression. The weight of unspoken words lingered in the air between them.

"Izu, we've faced embarrassing and tough moments together since middle school. Nothing you could say would change how I see you," Iida reassured, his genuine concern evident in his eyes.

Taking a deep breath, Izuku decided to open up. "It's not work that's been keeping me occupied. It's my mom; she's been having these episodes of emotional outbursts. I don't know how to deal with it, Iida."