"Waise..Humne shadi ki baat mazak mein nahi bola tha", after a good amount of time Haseena spoke. "Ammi sachme humari shadi karana chahti hai", her voice trailed off, creating a heaviness around them as she anticipated Karishma's reaction.

"Okay!" Karishma spoke, her voice was calm as if this piece of information didn't affect her. Haseena, although relieved, was also very surprised at this very plain reaction of hers. "Tum kya mera gussa hone ka intezar kar rahi ho?" Karishma asked with a cheeky smile playing on her face.

"Apki gusse ka hi adat hai hum sabko”, Haseena answered, “iss shanti ki nahi.”

"I will not lie! Agar woh banda mere samne aagaya toh shayad mujhse kuch ulta sidha ho jaye", Karishma confessed, "But I will not!” She soon changed the course of her words as she saw Haseena staring at her, "I have learned my lesson", she added to which Haseena gave her a "we will see" look. "Toh tumne iss bareme kya socha hai? Matlab shadi", Karishma asked, getting out of her hold to face her.

"Apko kya lagta hai?" Haseena asked, her eyes locked with Karishma's as her grip loosened on her hand.

"Mujhe lagta hai tumne mana kiya hoga, jo ki ammi ko bilkul bhi pasand nahi ayi hogi", Karishma replied as she made her hold stronger instead, intertwining their fingers in response to Haseena's unease. "Don't stress yourself like this Hasi!” She placed a soft kiss on Haseena's forehead, as if assuring her that they were in this together, “Ab ekdam se sab thik toh nahi ho sakta na. Thoda time do, unhe bhi aur apne ap ko bhi."

Haseena looked at the woman in front of her in amazement, how she turned into the most mature person from a whiny kid just in a fraction of second. "Hmm", that's all she uttered before they started to walk once again hand in hand. Their steps synchronized, mirroring the blissful harmony of their souls.

.
.

The next morning, Haseena was getting ready for work when the ringing of her phone demanded her attention. She reached out to answer the phone but her fingers halted over the screen as her mother's number flashed on the screen. She couldn't bring herself to have the same conversation for the nth number of times. They would only argue and at the end her mother would cut the call in anger, leaving a vulnerable and emotionally drained Haseena on the other side of the phone.

Haseena was exhausted just with the thought of arguing with her mother as she understood her mother's stand. The values Salma was brought up with and with the upbringing she had, it was not at all easy for her to accept that her daughter was in love with a woman and had no intention of changing her decision whatsoever. And if Haseena wanted to be with Karishma, which she did with her whole heart, she probably should give up on the thought of maintaining a healthy relationship with her mother. But at the same time, her heart craved for her mother's approval of her decisions, her choices. She longed for the moment when she could actually pour her heart out to her mother, to tell her how much she wanted the latter to be by her side in every phase of her life, in her happiest days or in her gloomiest moments but it all seemed like a distant dream for her.

Haseena couldn't help but wonder how Adeel would react once he got to know all these. A sudden fear gripped her mind, fear of being abandoned by her own family, even the mere thought of it was unbearable for her. But as usual Haseena buried these thoughts inside her, not knowing how to convey this to anyone which only burdened her further.

Adeel, who was scrolling through his phone sitting on the sofa, noticed Haseena coming out of her room with a downcast expression. He knew it was no use asking his sister about it so he took the help of humour instead, hoping it would lift up her mood, "Kya baat hai bohut khush nazar arahi ho aaj!"

Haseena let out a chuckle at his backhanded remark. "Khana table par rakha hai. Nashta kiye bagair mat jana office", she instructed her brother before leaving the house, who just stared at her retreating figure worryingly.

.
.

"Ap hume site ki papers de sakti hai? hume kuch changes karni hai", Haseena told Santosh beside her. "Santu?", upon not getting any response Haseena nudged her arm, "Kuch hua hai?"

Santosh, who for some reason seemed to be in a very foul mood, nodded negatively and replied, "Tum meri cabin mei dekhlo please, wohi rakhi hai."

"Accha", Haseena said, moving towards the room. She saw Karishma seated there, sipping coffee with Kashish. "Not again!" Haseena rolled her eyes at the sight and knocked on the door in order to draw their attention.

"Please come in!" Karishma gave Haseena a warm smile and so did Kashish which she had to return out of courtesy. Haseena searched for the required papers and upon finding it, she started with her work, without even acknowledging the presence of two other women in the room. After sometime Kashish excused herself, and Haseena finally lifted her head to look at Karishma, who was already staring back at her.

"Coffee acchi bani hai?" Haseena asked for the first thing. With her ever so composed demeanor, no one could assume the storm of contradictory emotions she managed to hide beneath the surface.

"Haan", Karishma answered with a smile, "you want some?"

"Nahi", Haseena went back to her file but her attention was fixated on Karishma. She paused for a moment before speaking again, "Ap dono kafi acche dost ban gaye hai waise."

Karishma looked at Haseena, intrigued at her statement. "If I didn't know you, I would say you are probably getting jealous!" she stated as she continued to look at her.

"I'm not", Haseena persisted, averting her gaze back to Karishma, "Bas kuch baatein samajh aane lagi hai hume."

"Aur woh konsi baat hai?" Karishma probed, raising her eyebrows. Haseena didn't reply, instead she placed the papers back on the file and started to walk out of the room. "Kaha ja rahi ho?" Karishma inquired, moving towards Haseena.

"Apne desk pe", Haseena held onto the doorknob, twisting it but couldn't open as she felt Karishma's hand over her hand.

"Mere sawal ka jawab diye bagair nahi ja sakti tum bahar", Karishma's firm voice made Haseena turn towards her. Her grip on Haseena's hand got stronger who didn't pull her hand back either.

"Aur ap mujhe order nahi de sakti. You are not my boss anymore, remember", Haseena uttered, looking straight into Karishma's eyes as if challenging her.

"Ahan!" Karishma leaned closer, holding eye contact. Haseena gasped as she felt Karishma pushing her against the door while she locked her hand over her head. She cursed herself inwardly for losing control over her senses too easily at Karishma's presence, while Karishma's unoccupied hand went towards the back of Haseena's head, pulling the clutch out of her hair as her luscious locks cascaded down her back. "What if I tell you I am more interested in being your girlfriend than being your boss?" Karishma's lips slightly brushed against Haseena's and with their intermingled breaths they felt their heart quickening its beat with the growing intensity of their desire. "Then YOU can boss me around as you like..", she traced Haseena's parted lips with her thumb, lost in her tenderness.

Haseena knew it was the moment she should push Karishma away as it was the most inappropriate of times and places but her body reacted the exact opposite of what her mind had suggested. She pulled Karishma closer, placing her unoccupied hand on her slender neck, feeling her smoothness against her fingertips. Their lips found each other and everything around them ceased to exist, as if their souls had transferred into a whole different universe, giving them a chance to revive with each other to the fullest.

_________________________________________

Hello all, hope you all had a very happy diwali.

I am back with chapter 43 of Solace.
Do vote and share your thoughts about the part. See you in the next one.