Genesis Arc - Ch. Five: The Edge of Resolve

Beginne am Anfang

The wanderer, a monolith against the twilight sky, seemed to exude tales of valor with each breath. Behind a pillar worn by time, Y/N watched, not with the trepidation one might expect, but with a heart swollen with wonder. His gaze lingered on the enshrouded blade—the promise of untold stories lay within its bandaged form.

"Come out, young observer," the voice of the wanderer cut through the evening's stillness, rich with an authority that was both commanding and warm. "Your spirit rings out clear and true."

With a sheepish grin, Y/N emerged from his makeshift concealment, his youthful face alight with an earnest admiration. "You knew I was here," he acknowledged, his voice carrying a note of playful respect.

The wanderer faced him, and even through the shadow of his hood, there was a gentleness to his demeanor. "Indeed, fledgling," he affirmed, a term that was not an insult but an acknowledgment of Y/N's burgeoning journey.

"I'm no fledgling!" Y/N retorted with feigned indignance, the words of a Xianzhou native spoken with a mixture of pride and challenge.

The wanderer's laughter—a sound that seemed to resonate with the encroaching night—held no mockery. "Not of wings, but of spirit. You are young, yet within you burns the fire to grow, to reach beyond."

Y/N, emboldened by the wanderer's insight, mimed drawing a sword, his imaginary blade slicing through the air with vigor. "I'm learning, as you can see," he declared, giving life to his movements, his makeshift swordplay a burst of unbridled energy.

Observing the boy, the wanderer's eyes—veteran and perceptive—saw the raw potential that lay beneath the surface. "Have you wielded swords before?" he probed, his question sharpened with a mentor's interest.

"Yes," Y/N confessed, his voice taking on a weight that betrayed his inner conflict. "But none have felt right—they're all too light, too short."

A spark ignited in the wanderer's eyes at the boy's admission. "A greatsword, perhaps, would suit you?" he mused, his voice a blend of challenge and curiosity.

Y/N, momentarily taken aback by his own omission, hurriedly added, "I'm sorry—I didn't mean to speak out of turn."

The wanderer tilted his head, his face still hidden, yet the air around him softened. "There is no fault in seeking your match, young one. What is your name?"

"I am Y/N," the boy replied, his voice strong with the weight of his name. "And you, sir? Who are you?"

The wanderer paused, his identity cloaked as surely as his visage. "I am but a wanderer," he answered, his voice carrying the echoes of worlds beyond. "A warrior cast adrift among the stars, seeking understanding where once there was betrayal."

Y/N's eyes gleamed with the light of a thousand questions as he regarded the wanderer. "Have you faced great warriors in your travels?" he asked, his voice barely containing the excitement of his imagination.

"Yes, many," the wanderer acknowledged, his tone a deep well of experience. "Warriors of such might, they could carve the very earth, command the seas, and challenge the skies."

Enthralled, Y/N listened as the wanderer painted the air with tales of epic feats. "They stood as titans among us, their swords extensions of their indomitable wills. They did not seek to conquer but to understand—to harmonize their strength with the pulse of the planet."

"And the seas?" Y/N pressed, his mind racing with images of these legendary figures.

"The seas bowed to their presence, parted before their resolve, for they spoke the language of the deep—a tongue older than the tides," the wanderer recounted, his voice a rhapsody of the ancient and the timeless.