Chapter Twenty-Three: Soon to be a Crystal Metamorphic Fairy

Song: "Believix" - Elisa Rosselli

        Makenna, Mrs. Edith, Mr. Gheesling, and Dr. Medford piled out of the auditorium, and they hurried toward Mrs. Edith's office.
"Stay with us, Tracey." Mr. Gheesling told Merlin's apprentice.
Makenna again tried to communicate with Selene, "Selene, Selene, please. What should I do?" Just before Makenna gave up on trying telepathy, Selene answered her!
She answered her! "Bring him to me," she told the young Metamorphic Fairy, "Bring Tracey to the shipwreck on North Beach. I can help him."
"But, Selene." Makenna answered back.
"No buts. I hate to say this, Makenna, but if you don't get Tracey to me as soon as possible, he's going to die."
"Die?!" Makenna shockingly asked through telepathy, "What do you mean 'die?!' What's wrong with him?!" However, Selene didn't answer her this time. She fell completely silent. "Selene!" Makenna called in her mind, "Come back! Come back, please! What do you mean 'die?!'" It didn't take long for her to realize that Dr. Medford was no longer with them. What? Where did he go? Makenna searched the area. Sure enough, Dr. Medford was nowhere to be seen. Next, the Metamorphic Fairy focused her attention back on Tracey. No! He couldn't be dying! He just couldn't! But he was. He was growing weaker and weaker by the second. His eyes were barely open. Tears appeared in Makenna's eyes. She told Merlin's apprentice, "Just hang in there, Tracey," and Tracey feebly nodded. Makenna had to find a way to get him out of there and to the shipwreck on North Beach as soon as possible! But how?! These thoughts troubled her.

Before she knew it, she, Mr. Gheesling, and Mrs. Edith had reached Mrs. Edith's office.
Mrs. Edith opened the door, and she and Mr. Gheesling tried to have Makenna wait outside, but again she refused to leave Tracey's side. "Don't you dare tell me what to do!" she snapped at them, "He's my friend! I refuse to leave his side!" She forced her way into the nurse's office, and finally, Mrs. Edith and Mr. Gheesling just gave up. They let her stay. Mrs. Edith's office was actually fairly large. It was not cramped, like some high school nurse offices. It had a lot of room in it. Mrs. Edith led Mr. Gheesling over to one of the beds in the office, and she pointed at it. Nodding, Mr. Gheesling gently set Tracey down on it, and Mrs. Edith tossed a blanket over him. He was still conscious, but just barely. The poor fairy wanted to go back to Seabrook Island, back to Merlin's Island, where he belonged, but something inside told him that he most likely was going to be staying in the hospital that night. He didn't even know he was under a curse.
While he rested there, one hand clutched his burning head, and the other stretched out to Makenna. "Makenna," he mumbled.
"I'm right here." Makenna told him. She took his hand, "Just rest, Tracey. I'm going to find a way to help you. I promise." She rubbed his hand, but she, as well as Mr. Gheesling and Mrs. Edith had not yet seen his injury.

Mrs. Edith felt the teenage fairy's forehead, and she clenched her teeth,
"Oh, gosh, he's got a fever. Makenna," She glanced at Makenna, "who are his parents? Do you know their number?"
Makenna started to stutter, "He-he doesn't have any pa-parents. He-he's with me." Both Mrs. Edith and Mr. Gheesling gave her a funny look. Soon, Dr. Medford, yes, Dr. Medford entered the office, and everybody glanced at him. "Dr. Medford." Makenna mumbled.
Dr. Medford was out of breath. "All right," he breathlessly said, and he rested his hands on his knees, "I called EMS. They're on their way."
"Well, that's a relief." Mrs. Edith spoke. She placed a cool towel over Tracey's forehead and rubbed his cheek.
Makenna suddenly gasped, and her eyes widened. "EMS?!" she screeched, "No, no!" She released Tracey's hand which dropped onto the bed's sheet and quickly turned to Dr. Medford, "That can't happen! We can't do that! He can't go to a human hospital! He has to go to a fairy hospital!"
"A fairy hospital?" Mr. Gheesling asked, and he took the hood of his jacket off his head, "What are you talking about, Makenna? Do you want him to die?"
"Of course not!" shouted Makenna, and she started to sweat, "I know he needs a hospital, but he can't go to a human hospital!"
Mr. Gheesling, Dr. Medford, and Mrs. Edith were very confused. "Makenna," asked Mrs. Edith, "are you feeling all right? Maybe we need to check your temperature too."
Approaching Makenna, she moved her hand toward her forehead, but Makenna slapped it away. "I'm fine!" she shouted, "I'm not sick! I'm telling the truth! He needs a fairy hospital or a magic hospital, whatever! Let me take him! I know someone magical who can help him!"
"Magical?" Dr. Medford asked, "Fairy? What is going on, Makenna?" He placed his hands on his hips.