Chapter Sixteen: Delusional Truths

Makenna Delling returned home that afternoon from school, after the first day of Spirit Week, in a really good mood. The time was 3:45. In just another forty-five minutes, she would be with Peter Nelson! Yeah, Makenna had homework, but she refused to do it. She had to get ready for Peter.
When her mother pulled into their garage at 3:45, Makenna quickly unbuckled and grabbed her book bag. "Thank you, Mom!" she announced, and she threw open the door of the car, "Excuse me, but I have a lot of homework! Might as well go ahead and get it done!"
"Get a snack first, Makenna." Mrs. Delling spoke, and she and Caleb Delling together fixed their attention on the excited fairy.
"No problem, Mom!" Makenna cheered, and she leaped ten feet in the air, "I'll go right away! Please do not disturb me until I finish my homework. Thank you! Yippee!" Makenna reached back to her backpack and unzipped it, sticking her hands inside. From the backpack, she pulled out three, blue, pink, and purple pencil cases, and grinning, she started to juggle them. "I love homework!" Makenna announced as she juggled, "Fun times! See ya later, Mom and Caleb! Ha ha!" She caught the pencil cases and jogged out of the garage.
Behind, Caleb and Mrs. Delling, who were left behind, exchanged glances, and Caleb said, "Hm, she's rather chipper this afternoon. Why do you think that's so, Mom?"
"I'm not sure, Caleb." Mrs. Delling admitted, and she pulled the keys out of the ignition, unbuckling herself, "Something definitely happened today at school."
"But what?" Caleb asked, "To me, it appears as if..." Here, he smiled, closed his eyes, and pulled his hands together, "Makenna's in love."
"In love?!" Mrs. Delling yelped, and she peered back to her son, "In love with who?"

The second Makenna entered the front door of her house, she scurried to the kitchen and got an apple. Then, as she bit into the apple, she jogged up the stairs toward her room and jumped the last two steps. When she landed, she hurried to her room and opened the door, sprinting inside. The second she was inside, she dropped her book bag off her shoulder which it landed with a thud on the floor and closed the door, locking it.

Makenna pressed her back up against the door, and while she examined her room, she said, "This is my date with Peter Nelson! I've got to make sure I look beautiful!" Right after she announced that, she took her back off the door and got straight to work. She turned on some pop music on her boom box that sat on her desk and plopped her book bag down in the chair. Then, she scurried over to her closet and changed into her blue and white top and denim skirt. After she changed, she hurried over to her mirror and took her hair out of the high ponytail. Grabbing a brush, she started to brush out her hair, and as she brushed, her feet danced a little bit to the music coming from her boom box. Makenna soon pulled her hair back up into the high ponytail, and still staring at herself in the mirror, she put dark blue dolphin studs in her ears. Then she redid her makeup. When Makenna was finished and satisfied with her appearance, the last thing she put on was some perfume. Then, backing away from the mirror, she approached her boom box and replaced her heels with a pair of ballet slippers. Then, reaching for the boom box, she turned on some ballet music. Scurrying to the center of her room, she put herself in first position and waited. Then, she started to dance. She kicked her leg straight up and stood on the tippy tops of her toes. Her mother may have taken away her ballet lessons, but that didn't mean that she could stop her from dancing. Makenna was an amazing ballerina. She jumped into the air and twirled, landing on her toes. Then, she acted out numerous jetes, A.K.A., midair splits, and when she landed, she twirled ten times on her toes. Makenna was having so much fun, she lost track of time. When finally, she stopped momentarily to take a breather, she glanced at her digital clock that sat on the dresser next to her bed, and she gasped. It was 4:30! 4:30 exactly! "4:30?!" Makenna asked, shocked, and she quickly turned off her boom box, "Oh snap, I'm late! Peter Nelson!" Quickly, she pulled off her ballet slippers and put her heels back on.

Panicking, Makenna jogged in place and tried to think of a way she could sneak out of the house. She wanted to keep her door locked, so she couldn't exit from downstairs. For the time being, it appeared as if fourteen-year-old Makenna Delling was trapped in her room.
She said, "Oh no!" and reached for her head, "What am I supposed to do?! What am I supposed to do?! Think, Makenna, think!" She started to run in circles, and as she ran, she repeatedly smacked herself in the head. "Run in circles, Makenna!" yelped the Metamorphic Fairy, "Run in circles! Think of a solution! Wait a minute." She stopped, and her eyes rolled over to the window in her room. Wasn't Makenna a fairy? Gulping, she approached her window and pulled it up. A warm, spring breeze blasted through her room, and Makenna cautiously peered outside. Her eyes landed on the alligator pond, and she gasped at what she saw. Down below, standing next to a bench that was next to the pond with an orange bicycle next to him, was Peter Nelson! He was surveying the area like a coastguard, and Makenna knew that he was looking for her. "Peter Nelson!" she yelped, and her hands started to forcibly shake, "What should I do?!" She thought that if really and truly she was a fairy, she would probably be able to dive out of the window and catch herself, but Makenna was nervous to take the risk. What if she wasn't a fairy? What if she went splattering in the driveway? She was scared, but no! She had to do this! She was brave!