Chapter Fourteen: Bad Boys vs. Good Boys

The teleportation process back to Seabrook Island was very fast. In just twelve seconds, Makenna and Caleb appeared over a tree in their backyard, and they crashed through the branches, yelling, and landed in a heap at the base of the tree.
Makenna was on Caleb's back, and she sat up on it and rubbed her head. "Man," she said, "I never want to experience something like that again. Are you all right, Caleb?"
Caleb peered up to her, irritated, and said, "I'm fine, Makenna, but would you please get off my back?"
"Oh!" Makenna quickly said, "I'm so sorry, Caleb!" and she got off, sitting on her heels. She placed her hands on her chest. Caleb sat up and faced her, also sitting on his heels. He placed his own hands on his thighs and searched the area, smiling.
He said, "We're home, Makenna! We're really home! We're in our backyard!"
Makenna also searched the area, and she sighed, saying, "Thank goodness. I thought we'd never leave that torture chamber." Caleb peered into her face and smirked. Makenna didn't know yet. She said, "Excuse me, Caleb," and stood up, "I'm just going to fly to my room and lock my door." Caleb chuckled. Makenna pointed up at the sky and said, "All right, wings, lift me into the sky!" Nothing happened. Again, Caleb chuckled, and he sat cross-legged, crossing his arms. Makenna, who was still pointing into the sky, tried again, "Wings, lift me into the sky!" Once again, nothing happened. "Huh?" Makenna asked. She lowered her hand, "What's going on?"
"Makenna," Caleb said, "are you aware that you no longer have wings on your back right now?"

"What?!" asked Makenna, traumatized, "What are you talking about, Caleb?!" She peered down to her attire and gasped. She was no longer wearing her fairy attire! She was back in her blue and white top and denim skirt. Her hair was back up in a high ponytail. Makenna peered back to her back, and she gasped again when she saw that she no longer had her wings! She was a wingless fairy again! But why?! Makenna yelled, and she shouted, "My wings! What happened to my wings?! No!" She closed her eyes and stomped her foot, starting to throw a tantrum, "This isn't fair! I want my wings back!"
"Well too bad," said Caleb, and he stood up, "You should've thought about the consequences before you told Merlin that you didn't care if Tracey survives the magic coma or not. Merlin's punished you, Makenna, and you deserve it. Your wings are not coming back until sunset tomorrow. Merlin's placed the Sunset Delay spell on you."
"My wings!" Makenna sobbed, and tears streamed down her cheeks, "Merlin's gonna pay for this!"
Caleb shrugged. "Well look on the bright side of it," he said, "At least you don't have to worry about your wings showing off in front of Jimmy Carter tomorrow." Makenna's skin prickled when he said that.

Suddenly, the back door of their house flung open, and on the doorstep appeared Mr. and Mrs. Delling!
They gasped at the sight of their children sitting in the backyard, and together, they said, "Makenna and Caleb!" Makenna lifted her head from her knees, and her mouth dropped open.
Caleb beamed and said, "Mommy and Daddy!" He sprinted toward his mother, and she sprinted toward him.
When they reached each other, Mrs. Delling picked up Caleb and hugged him as tight as she could, saying, "Caleb! Oh, my baby boy, you're all right! Where were you and Makenna?! You had us worried sick!"
She kissed him repeatedly, and blushing, Caleb said, "Mom, we're all right. We've only been gone for a day and a half."
"But you had us worried, baby!" Mrs. Delling sobbed, "We thought something terrible happened to you!" Makenna stood up, and she and Mr. Delling approached one another.
They peered into each other's eyes, and then, Makenna smiled and said, "Daddy."
She and Mr. Delling hugged, and Mr. Delling, who was literally crying, said, "Makenna. Oh, my Makenna. You're safe! Where were you and Caleb?"
As Makenna continued to hug him, she said, "Oh, Daddy, it was amazing! If only it wasn't a dream."
"Group hug!" Mrs. Delling said. She and Caleb approached Mr. Delling and Makenna, and all together, they hugged. Tony, their now seven-year-old beagle dog, sauntered out of the house, and he joined the reunion, starting to cry. His tail wagged so fast; you'd be worried it'd fall off. Makenna, who was still hugging her dad, peered gloomily over his shoulder. She was thinking about Tracey. Already she missed him.
Sighing, she whispered, "I didn't even get to say goodbye to him," and hugged her dad tighter.
Hearing her, Mr. Delling asked, "Say goodbye to who?"
"Nobody." Makenna said with a shake of her head. She disconnected and slid out of her father's arms.
He, Mrs. Delling, Tony, and Caleb watched as she headed toward the marsh and plopped down on a bench. "What's with her?" Mrs. Delling asked Caleb.
"It's a long story," said Caleb, "and I'm sure you won't believe half of it."
"What are you talking about?" Mrs. Delling asked, and she took Caleb's shoulders, "You can tell us anything, Caleb. Tell us what happened."
Caleb peered into her face and sighed. "Very well," he said, "but let's go inside to talk about it."
He headed toward the back door, and behind, Mrs. Delling said, "Uh, okay," and followed him. Tony did too.
Mr. Delling started to follow, but then he stopped and turned toward Makenna, asking, "Makenna, are you coming?"
Makenna waved her hand. "In just a couple minutes I will," she replied, "But I need to be left alone for right now."
"Very well." Mr. Delling said, "Come in when you're ready." He turned and headed toward the back door, leaving her alone on the bench.