Chapter Three: What Happened in Homeroom?

Within just five minutes, Makenna and Jessica were sitting in their homeroom classroom with Mrs. Hector, their teacher, and they were waiting for their report cards to be handed out. They were lucky, they had Jimmy Carter in their homeroom! Great, just when Makenna's morning couldn't get any worse with him, they had to be given their report cards in homeroom. Makenna failed. She knew she did. She was in danger of going to summer school with Jimmy Carter. Jessica was a much better student than she and Jimmy. Unlike her and Jimmy, she was passing all her classes. Makenna didn't really care about school and grades as long as she had her phone, nail polish, and Peter Nelson. She had really changed since she was seven years old.

Mrs. Hector soon stood up from her desk, and she clapped her hands together, saying, "Students, may I have your attention please?" The students didn't hear. They were too busy chitchatting. Mrs. Hector sighed and pushed her glasses closer to the bridge of her nose. Then she reached into her purse and pulled out a mallet, banging it on the face of the table. As she banged it, she said, "Order, order!" as if they were in a courtroom. The students soon calmed down and focused their attention on her, except Makenna and Jimmy.

Makenna was messing with her nails, and Jimmy was eyeing her with raised eyebrows, mouthing,

"Fairy Girl" at her.

Ignoring them, Mrs. Hector announced, "Attention, students, because I was in such a rush this morning, I forgot to get the report cards out of my mailbox. Therefore, I am going to run to the office and get them, and until I return...," She pointed her hand at the Promethean board that had assignments in all classes written down on it, "I want you to pull out your planners and jot down these assignments. When I return with the report cards, I will call each of you up individually, you will show me your planner, and I'll give you your report card. Does that sound fair enough?"

The students, not including Makenna and Jimmy, together nodded and said, "Yes, ma'am."

"Good." Mrs. Hector said, "I'll be right back." After that statement, she scooted out of the room, and students pulled out their planners, starting to write. As they wrote, they chitchatted with each other.

Makenna was the only one who didn't have her planner out. She was too busy texting on her phone, and every once in a while, out of the corners of her eyes, she peered at Jessica who was carefully writing assignments down in her planner. Makenna scoffed. She didn't have time for this rubbish.

Focusing on her phone's screen again, she took a selfie and admired herself, saying, "Oh yeah, Makenna Delling, you are one beautiful girl." She fluffed her hair, and she was just about to take another selfie when suddenly, guess what, Jimmy Carter opened his big mouth.

He asked Makenna, "Hey, Fairy Girl, what are you going to do about your report card?"

"Shut up, Jimmy." Makenna said. She placed her phone on her desk's face and turned to Jimmy. Her fingers were gripping the top of the chair, and she glared at Jimmy who chuckled meanly.

Standing up, he approached Makenna's desk and crossed his arms, saying, "I can't wait for us to be in summer school together. We'll have lots of fun together, eh, Fairy Girl?"

"'Fairy Girl.'" Makenna mimicked. She also stood up, and she clenched her fist, adding, "I said shut up!"

Heads turned toward the two teenagers, and Jessica, trying her best to remain calm, reached for Makenna's arm and asked, "Hey, why can't we just all get along?" She grasped her friend's arm and tried to sit her down, adding, "Sit down, Makenna."

Makenna glared. "Don't touch me!" she shouted. She ripped her arm free, and Jessica gasped. Makenna was looking for a fight. Jimmy Carter chuckled. He loved making Makenna mad.