Chapter Eleven: Where the water meets your wings.

Song: "In the Beginning" - Hans Zimmer

        In less than five minutes, the island was back to normal. It was silent and beautiful all over again. It was as if nothing had happened. On the beach, Makenna was resting on her back with eyes closed and arms extended, and Tracey was resting on his front, shaking uncontrollably; he was so scared. Gina was standing next to his head and patting it with her wing.
Suddenly, Makenna shot to an upright position, and lifting her hand, she asked, "Is everyone alive?"
Tracey coughed. "Barely," he feebly said. Gina nudged his head.
"Whoo-wee." Makenna said, and she squeezed water out of her long, brown hair, "That was some kind of fun. Are you okay, little necklace?" She reached for her necklace pendant, and she sighed when she felt that she was still wearing it. For a bit, she stared at her necklace and blue fingernails. Then, she jumped to her feet and turned to Tracey who was struggling to hands and knees, and his wings were hanging limply from his back. Makenna asked him, "Tracey, are you all right?" and she hurried to him, grabbing his arm. She helped Tracey to his feet, but the second he stood, he swayed, closed his eyes, and fell forward. Makenna caught him by the arms and said, "Tracey! Take it easy, dude! You need to rest!" Gina hurried to the young apprentice and rubbed up against his cheek. Together, she and Makenna helped Tracey back onto the sand and waited for the color to return to his face.

As they waited, Makenna sat on a rock and faced the meadow, and Gina stayed with her friend. As Makenna sat, tears streamed down her cheeks, and in a choked voice, she said,
"I was too weak. Thanks to me, the Octopus Man nearly had Tracey." She glanced at her hands, "I can't defeat him like this." She frustratingly clenched her fist, and her fingernails turned purple. She leaped to her feet, rubbed her eyes, and narrowed her eyebrows, saying, "I have to find Caleb! I have to learn how to fly so I can earn my second transformation!" She remembered Caleb telling her that her second transformation was known as her Soon to Be a Crystal Metamorphic Fairy transformation. Now desperate, young Makenna peered into the gorgeous, blue sky. She could do this. She clenched her fists and said, "Come on, wings, we can do this!" She bent her knees and didn't take her eyes off the sky. Makenna glared, jumped, and BOOM! Her wings flapped, and she shot into the sky! As she climbed, she held her right arm straight out and clenched her fist and teeth. However, she immediately lost control. She was thrown all over the place, and Makenna yelled.

Down below, on the beach, Gina saw her and squawked. She turned to Tracey whose color was almost back and hurried to his shoulder. With her beak, she grabbed his shirt sleeve and started to pull. Tracey struggled to a sitting position and reached for his head, rubbing it.
Then, opening his eyes, he dropped his hand and peered at Gina, asking, "Gina, what is it?" in a feeble voice. Gina let go of his sleeve and pointed her beak into the sky. Tracey looked with her, and at the sight of Makenna attempting to fly, he whispered, "She's flying. Well, sort of." Makenna was out of control, yes, but she was not giving up. She had to become a Crystal Metamorphic Fairy!
She called to her wings, "Wings, go left!" but her wings pulled her to the right instead. Makenna yelled, and next, she went zooming down toward the beach. She yelled, "Help!" but her wings caught her just before she could hit the ground. Then they gently put her down on the sand, on her backside. "Oh!" frustrated Makenna Delling yelled, "I was so close too!"

"Well done, Makenna." Tracey said from where he sat.
Makenna heard him and asked, "Huh?" Her eyes landed on him, "Tracey!" and she jumped to her feet, "You're all right!" Hurrying to him, she kneeled and started hammering him with questions, "What did you see?! Did he get you?! Did you see the Octopus Man?! Was he really half octopus?! How did you escape?!"
"Shush!" said the young ninja. His head was beginning to hurt, and he reached for it, "What are you talking about, Makenna? What 'Octopus Man'?"
"Oh," Makenna gloomily said, "so I guess you didn't see him?" She jumped, "No, nothing! There is no Octopus Man! We um," She thought for a moment, "just escaped a really powerful storm in the Atlantic. It was so bad that there was even a whirlpool!"
"Whirlpool?" Tracey asked, "What whirlpool? What storm?"
"Hold on." Makenna said. She pointed at him, "You really don't remember?"
"Is that a bad thing?" asked Tracey. Makenna hesitated.
Then she forced a smile and said, "No! No! That's fine! What I meant to ask you was, um, can we carry on with our journey to find my brother?"
"Oh." Tracey said. He nodded, and Makenna took him by the arm, helping him stand. Tracey added with, "Right. We're looking for 'Where the water meets your wings,' right?"
Nervously, Makenna said, "Yes, yes we are. After we find Caleb, Tracey, Merlin wants us to return to his cave so he can give me the scoop on why I'm a fairy and we can return home. Caleb and I have to return home. We have school tomorrow."