Fifty five. Collateral

Start from the beginning

"Does it say anything about how the curse is broken?" He asks and I shake my head.

"No, just that hybrids are dangerous beings that shouldn't be let loose on the supernatural world. Geez thanks nana"

"Maybe she's right..."

"What?"

Kodin sighed and stood up "think about it katie. If they're as powerful as nana says, how are two teenagers supposed to handle that much power?"

"That's not her decision kody, it wasn't hers and it wasn't mom's."

"I'm just saying" he ran a hand down his face in irritation "forget I said anything."

"What's going on with you?"

"I'm fucking scared, Katie!" He snaps finally. "I am terrified. In the span of 24 hours my life has done a 180 and I am so fucking scared. I feel so much pain and anger and hurt and I don't know what to do with it" he paced the room frantically, I wanted to tell him to sit, to calm down but I knew he didn't need that.

"I feel like we're just...just after thoughts in their heads." Shaking his head he huffs "fucking collateral in a bigger picture"

"That's how they see it kody..." I spoke. "It's not about us"

"But it is! It's only about us!" He moved over to me and pointed at the book that laid open in front of me. "It's written on every page, in every book. Forbidden, unheard of, we are freaks in a world full of monsters."

"They can't have this conversation without us. There is no conversation without us! How can it be about anything else?" He waved his hands in frustration and I kept quiet. I had no idea how to go about this, how to feel, how to move on.

"You're contradicting yourself, Kody" he wasn't making sense. "Are you mad at them or not?"

"Of course I'm mad! I'm just..."

He took a beat, looking away from me, his whole body trembling with emotion.

"I know how dangerous this is, I know how this can change everything. And I don't think they should have kept it from us"

"Okay-"

"But, I think mom and nana did the right thing...taking it away"

I stared at him, still looking away, if I could burn a hole in his head with my eyes it would have been in flames by now. How could he say that? How could he think we should be kept secret, that our DNA is wrong. How could he think I was wrong?

"What?"

"If hybrids are as dangerous as the book says, it's not safe for us to have that power" he turned towards me, waiting for my reaction.

"How can you say that?"

"We're kids, Kaitlin. Teenagers, who don't have any idea what the hell we're doing..."

"But-"

"How can two children handle that much power?" His voice was deadly calm and I felt my blood boiling by the second.