The Apollo Brothers; Chapter Five

Forewarning to readers: does contain a little steamy scene. 

5.

                I held my eyes together tightly. Wishing away what I had just heard.

                “This is the worst prank anyone’s ever played,” I muttered under my breath.

                “I can’t tell you much more. But the reason why you’ve never been sick is because it’s possible you have some extra terrestrial properties in you. Over the next few days you’ll begin to experience different things. Things that aren’t even known to human kind,” he exclaimed. He got up off the bed and walked towards the window. My mind was trying to comprehend everything that was rolling off Austin’s tongue.

                “And you know this because?”

                “I’m here to help you, but there are others that are not as kind,” he whispered in a low tone. “Stay safe.” His eyes flashed around the room before he exited the room through the window. I watched him walk causally along the footpath as if nothing had happened.

                                                                                ***

                I walked up the steps of Uncle Kyle’s porch. It was timber with flower pots placed in odd spots in no particular order. Before I had the time to knock, Uncle Kyle had opened the door. He produced the warm smile I loved and hugged me.

                “Hey there sweetheart. What a nice surprise!” he exclaimed. He gestured for me to enter his house. “Tea or water bub?”

                “Just water will be fine thanks,” I replied. I roamed through his hallway. There were portraits of him and Dad when they were in their twenties, their family, and Aunt Kathy’s family. It was as though I was walking through a time warp. I stared at a particular photo of Dad and Grandpa. Dad was young, fourteen or so, and Grandpa looked quite handsome to be honest. His face was stern and serious, not a single glimmer of happiness was found. Dad looked as though he was frightened of Grandpa. Grandpa was holding Dad’s shoulder firmly as they both stared into the camera.

                I walked myself to the living room before finding a comfy chair to sit on.

                “Here you go hun,” Uncle Kyle said handing me a glass of cool water, which already had traces of condensation. I smiled at him to show my appreciation. He sat on the chair across me.

                “Where’s Aunt Kathy?” I questioned sipping my water.

                “Down at the shops to buy some dinner for tonight,” he stated. I nodded and attempted to hum away the awkwardness. I had never been alone with Uncle Kyle before. I had always considered him to be a bit crazy with his stories. I swallowed before I began talking again.

                “So tell me about your alien stories. We’re learning more about them for school,” I insisted, intently waiting for his response. He chuckled softly.

                “You’re back at school already?” his thick bushy eyebrow rose in suspicion.

                “They sent me some assignments via email,” I lied under my breath. I was hoping he wouldn’t be able to catch me. He nodded. Thank goodness.

                “Well there is quite a lot to talk about. Aliens. They do exist you know.” I nodded in response and was eager to hear him continue. “My Granddaddy use to talk about it all the time. He told me that his grandma knew an alien. It was a family secret that was never told to anyone else.  Granddad use to reminisce about what they could do. Of course they were smart beyond compare, but there were other things that even NASA would never find,” he paused to sip his tea.