[23]

After completing her mission, Asami reluctantly made her way back to Konoha, her steps heavy with the weight of the secrets she carried. She had relayed the intricate details of Itachi Uchiha, the Akatsuki threat, and Sasuke's newfound knowledge to Danzo as per his instructions. The burden of her clandestine duties bore down on her, making each step feel like an uphill battle.

As she roamed the familiar streets of Konoha, she kept her head down, avoiding the gazes of her teammates, her teacher, her brother, her cousin, and the rest of the Konoha 11. Above all, she kept her distance from him, the very thought of their past interactions sending a chill down her spine.

Amidst her inner turmoil, a voice pulled her from her thoughts. Looking up, she saw Sai soaring above on his ink bird, his presence cutting through her preoccupation.

"Lady Tsunade has summoned you," Sai informed her, his voice steady but lacking its usual emotion.

"Why?" Asami's brows furrowed in confusion and apprehension. Sai's response was cryptic, leaving her with a gnawing sense of unease. "I don't know the details, but an elder Great Sage Toad has come from Mount Myoboku," he explained before vanishing into his ink along with his bird.

A shiver ran down Asami's spine, a foreboding feeling settling in the pit of her stomach. Something felt amiss, a sense of impending disaster looming over her like a dark cloud. With a clenched fist and a heart heavy with worry, she made her way towards Tsunade's office, her steps echoing the anxiety that had settled deep within her.

-

-

-

-

Asami passed by the familiar figures of Gamabunta and Gamakichi in the yard of the Hokage building. Her usual nod of acknowledgment was absent; today, her mind was preoccupied, lost in a maze of confusion and apprehension. With heavy steps, she approached Tsunade's office, her heart drumming in her chest like a warning beat.

"Come in," Tsunade's voice, normally robust, sounded strangely hollow through the door.

Asami pushed the door open, entering a room charged with an atmosphere so thick it was almost tangible. Tsunade sat behind her desk, her face etched with concern, flanked by Shizune on her right. To Tsunade's left sat an ancient green toad perched atop another toad. Asami's eyes darted past the desk, landing on familiar faces—Kakashi, Sai, Sakura, and her teacher, Miyabi, whom she hadn't seen in a while. And then there was Naruto, his back turned to her, his posture tense with unspoken turmoil.

For a moment, Asami stood there, caught between confusion and a sense of impending dread. When Naruto turned around, his eyes met hers fleetingly before he deliberately ignored her and left the room, his expression marred by pain and frustration. Asami's heart sank; had he discovered her association with Danzo? Was her secret alliance now laid bare?

Summoning her courage, Asami dared to speak, breaking the stifling silence. "What's happening?" Her voice wavered only slightly, belying the turmoil within.

Tsunade's eyes met hers, somber and laden with the weight of unwelcome news. "Is she the girl?" the old toad interjected, his voice carrying the wisdom of centuries.

"Yes, it's her," Tsunade confirmed, her gaze shifting to Asami. "He's Lord Fukasaku, one of the two great Sage Toads from Mount Myoboku. He's come here to speak with us."

The scrutiny of the sage toad felt like an interrogation. "Are you really Hyuga Asami?" he inquired, his eyes searching her soul.

"Yes," she replied, her voice steady but her eyes betraying none of the turmoil inside. "Why am I here?" The urgency in her tone cracked the air, her impatience barely concealed.