[10]

Asami stepped out of the Hyuga clan house, dressed in a black kimono that reached the mid-thigh, revealing a part of a bandage wrapped around her right thigh. She wasn't wearing the headband, and her bangs fell loosely over her forehead, revealing a bit of the cursed mark. However, the red scarf that Naruto gave her still hung around her neck like always.

She walked to the funeral alone, the funeral of the third Hokage who had sacrificed his life for the sake of the village.

All of the shinobi were gathered on the roof of the red building, in front of the pictures of the third Hokage and a few other fallen shinobi. With their heads lowered, they mourned the loss.

Like everyone else, Asami recalled the moments she had with the old man, his unsolicited advice that she didn't ask for. With her gaze fixed on the picture, she questioned in her mind, "Was it worth it? Sacrificing your life?"

A tiny water droplet fell on the tip of her nose. She held out her hand and looked up at the sky. The rain came pouring down, and she closed her eyes as it washed her face. "Even the sky is crying," she whispered to no one but herself.

"We've gathered here to remember and honor not only the third Hokage but all those who sacrificed themselves in this battle so that our village would survive."

Asami glanced at Naruto, who stared at Konohamaru sobbing uncontrollably. "Sensei," she spoke up when she felt Miyabi behind her with her teammates.

"What is this 'will of fire'?" she asked, causing the younger boys to look at her in confusion, while the Jonin smiled at her calmly. "It's the will that made us strong enough to sacrifice ourselves for the people we love, for the village, like the Third Hokage."

Asami looked at him with the same questioning look, as if she wanted to ask more. "Don't worry, you'll understand one of these days," he assured her, smiling softly.

In a line, one by one, everyone stepped forward to place white flowers in front of the Third Hokage's picture. Naruto, Shikamaru, Shinra, Ino, Eisuke, Sakura, Sasuke, Hinata, Shino—everyone did. And soon, Asami found herself standing there, staring at the picture with a fresh white flower in her hand. Her heart was aching, but her eyes were dry.

She couldn't cry. She couldn't remember the last time she cried, and even if she did, it was a long time ago.

She could still recall a few moments with the old man. When she was a kid, he caught her sneaking into the forest with Naruto, but instead of reporting it to her uncle, he joined them. She could even recall him enjoying the gyoza that she made. After all of this, she realized that she never got to say thank you to him.

With a heavy bag, Asami made a stop at the Ichiraku shop, hoping that he was there. She had finally gathered the courage to leave the Hyuga Clan, and she was right on the point of doing so. She pushed the curtains aside and stepped inside the shop. The blond was sitting there, busy slurping down his ramen.

She smiled as she watched the boy a little longer, noticing how happy he seemed. Instead of telling him, she was about to leave silently but stopped when Jiraiya entered the shop.

"It looks like you eat nothing but ramen," he smirked teasingly, causing Naruto to shout his nickname with

noodles stuffed in his mouth.

Jiraiya glanced at the brunette beside him and smiled. "Oh hey, Asami. Mind joining me and Naruto for a trip?" he asked, noticing her carrying a heavy bag.

"A trip?" she tilted her head in confusion.

"There's a woman I have to find," he winked at her, causing her face to turn displeased. "A very remarkable woman."

Naruto rolled his eyes. "Well, count me out, old man. I don't have time to help you find a girlfriend," he complained. "I've got to get busy with my training, and don't drag Asami with you!"

"What training?" Jiraiya questioned.

"It's time Kakashi-sensei taught me something new, like that Chidori thing," Naruto replied, making Jiraiya sigh. "And I could've taught you jutsu that makes Chidori look like kids' stuff."

He turned to leave, making Naruto's ear twitch. "Maybe I'll just teach Asami or ask Sasuke..." he trailed off, which made Asami chuckle, knowing that the old man was trying to persuade Naruto, who took the bait.

"Right! When do we leave? I'll go pack my bag! Stay right there! I'll be back!" Naruto exclaimed and ran away.

Asami watched him leave with a smile on her face.

"What a knucklehead! Still, you can't help but like him," Jiraiya mumbled before focusing his attention on Asami. "You finally left?"

Asami remained silent for a while before nodding, and Jiraiya smiled in approval. "Good, never liked the Hyuga clan anyway," he patted her head. "From now on, you'll be with me and Naruto."

If you would like more words or any further assistance, please let me know!