[11]

The trio, with their backpacks, walked along the path outside the village. The overly excited Naruto kept bugging Jiraiya about the new technique he was going to learn.

Jiraiya, annoyed with Naruto always calling him "pervy sage," decided to give them his lengthy legendary introduction. However, the response to his bragging about himself was silence from the two genin, which pissed him off.

Later on, Naruto insisted that Jiraiya tell him why he chose him for the journey. The toad sage revealed that the reason was nothing but Naruto's resemblance to the Fourth Hokage, who used to be his apprentice. Asami gazed at Naruto's features softly, then looked at Jiraiya with a knowing look, causing him to wink at her.

Asami looked at Naruto, who became overly excited, and smiled softly, thinking, "He's the Fourth Hokage's son."

Now, they were at some kind of shrine for a short break. Asami looked up from her book to find Naruto busy playing with the large bells of the shrine. Jiraiya spoke up, "Keep it up, and you'll be cursed," as he took out some snacks from inside his jacket and took a bite.

Asami stared at him, realizing that she hadn't been eating much since she left the Hyuga house and had been saving up for an apartment. Her stomach began to growl, causing her dull eyes to widen, and she blushed in embarrassment.

"Here. Have some," Jiraiya offered, breaking a rectangular green slice into half and giving one piece to her. "Thank you," Asami replied with a bright smile, grabbing the piece. She took a bite and instantly her eyes sparkled.

"Pervy Sage!" Naruto called, capturing Jiraiya's attention. Naruto had made three clones, and now all four of them were clinging to the cloth hanging from the bells.

"What kind of student was the Fourth Hokage?" asked the original Naruto.

"Well, I think it's safe to say he rose to greatness because of my tutelage. So, to have me as a sensei, well kid, let's just say you hit the jackpot, okay?" Jiraiya bragged.

"Hnn?"

The two of them began to argue as Asami found herself watching the scene, feeling a bit envious. Jiraiya glared at Naruto in annoyance. "Forget about it, just hurry up and put these things back where you got them."

"Easier said than done. I'm kind of tied up," Naruto grumbled as he struggled to free himself. "Asami..." he pouted, and she chuckled before jumping down to help him.

"Thank you," Naruto smiled brightly at her, his blue eyes shining. Asami gave him a closed-eyed smile. Jiraiya turned his head to observe the two of them, his curiosity piqued. He watched Naruto staring at her affectionately while she was busy untying him.

Jiraiya simply smirked, knowing that the boy was too naive when it came to his feelings. "Idiot."

---

The trio reached a small town, walking down the busy street. Asami noticed the surroundings: a lot of shops and street wanderers, games and circus tricks, and bars with a lot of noise in the background.

"Oh man, this town is pretty weird," Naruto whispered to her as they walked side by side.

They arrived at an inn, and Jiraiya went inside while Naruto and Asami stayed outside, watching a red rotating lamp.

"Naruto, Asami," Jiraiya called from beside the reception desk. "We

're gonna crash in here tonight."

"What? Why? I can still walk," Naruto whined as he and Asami also went inside.

"A disciple should always obey his master," Jiraiya commanded.

Naruto rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Look, I just want to learn some jutsu, okay?"

"Yeah, no kidding. That's what makes you a disciple," Jiraiya retorted but then looked behind the two genin, and they followed his gaze to a beautiful young woman.

She was wearing a short, sexy purple dress. Asami looked at the two males, who blushed with their mouths hanging open, as the woman did some flirtatious tricks.

"Not you too, Naruto," Asami said with a deadpan expression, while his eyes were popping out of their sockets.

Jiraiya grabbed Naruto's hand and placed a key in it. "Here's the room key. I want you to go to the room, train a little, work on your chakra, and then get to bed, okay? Haha."

"What?!" Naruto looked at him bewildered. "Oh, so I suppose you're gonna tell me it's time for the grown-ups to play now! You big perv!"

"Shut up!" Jiraiya glared at him. "It's nothing like that!"

"Of course it is! Where else will you be going?!"

"I have another important business to deal with!"

"I don't believe you!"

"Uh..." Asami stepped in, making them both look at her, until Jiraiya's eyes brightened up. "Why don't you come with me, Asami?"

"Huh?" The Hyuga girl stared at him unsure, while Naruto pulled her behind him. "Hey! Don't you dare take her to any grown-ups' place!"

"I know! She's just a kid, you idiot!"

Asami sighed. "Okay, I guess."

"Very well, let's go, girly," Jiraiya smirked, causing Naruto to growl at him. Before leaving the inn, Naruto faced his best friend. "Stay on your guard!"

"Don't worry, I will," she smiled at him before following Jiraiya out of the inn.

The duo started walking down a street, and after a minute of silence and thinking, Asami spoke up, addressing Jiraiya as "Master Jiraiya." Her gaze fixed ahead.

"What's up?"

"Lord Third... he was your teacher, right?"

"Yes, he was," he responded, observing her through the corners of his eyes.

"Well... uh..." The female Hyuga paused in reluctance, and Jiraiya smiled softly. "Asami," he placed his hand on her head, making her look at him. "People are bound to come and go, and the true measure of a shinobi is not how he lives but how he dies. And he died a hero."

Asami stared at him for a few moments. "Don't you... desire revenge...?"

Jiraiya observed the girl, understanding the complexity she was going through. She was asking the questions to him, the questions she was actually meant to ask herself. She was asking him the questions for which she needed answers herself.

"Listen carefully, Asami," he bent down to her height and looked into her dull lavender eyes. "They say neglect kills injuries, revenge increases them. Anger and resentment don't change the hearts of others. They only change yours, and surely not in a good way. Learning to let go is the only way to inner peace because you can't fix yourself by breaking the one who broke you."

She listened to his every word carefully and silently, mentally taking notes.