[17]

She didn't want to return to the imposing walls of the Hyuga clan house, but circumstances forced her hand. Asami knew she had no choice but to face her uncle and the rest of the family, even if it meant enduring their disapproving gazes. With a heavy heart, she walked through the familiar halls, the weight of their expectations pressing down upon her shoulders, threatening to crush her spirit. Every step felt like a burden, a reminder of the duty and tradition she was expected to uphold.

As she approached her room, a glimmer of relief washed over her when she discovered her uncle and other clan members were absent. The absence of their watchful eyes granted her a temporary respite. Swiftly, she entered her room, her movements quick and determined as she gathered a few essential items. Her hands moved with a sense of urgency, grabbing clothes haphazardly and stuffing them into her bag. The process was rushed, fueled by her desire to escape the suffocating confines of the clan house as swiftly as possible.

Just as she thought she was in the clear, her eyes were drawn to a sight that made her pause in her tracks. There, in the training grounds, stood her older brother, Neji, and her cousin, Hinata, engaged in a joint practice session. A surge of bitter jealousy welled up within her as she watched them, their synchronized movements and shared bond as siblings evident in every graceful action. It was a stark reminder of what she lacked and what she longed for—an older brother to guide and train her.

Unable to contain her emotions, a mixture of resentment and longing spilled from her lips. "Must be nice, isn't it?" Her words carried a tinge of bitterness, directed at the unfairness of their bond. "To have an older brother by your side, training with you."

Neji and Hinata turned towards her, surprise etched across their faces. Neji's eyes narrowed, suspicion evident in his gaze as he observed his younger sister's arrival. "You're back," he stated, his voice tinged with a mixture of concern and caution.

Her eyes locked with Neji's, a defiant gleam flickering within her own. "Back and better," she retorted, her voice carrying a hint of defiance. She shot a pointed look at Hinata, her cousin, her gaze filled with a calculated coldness. "Certainly stronger than her," she added, her words laced with a touch of superiority.

Hinata's expression fell, her once bright eyes dimming with sadness and unease. She stammered, her voice barely above a whisper. "Asami-chan..."

Ignoring Hinata's concern, Asami pressed on, her determination unyielding. "I don't think you're capable of leading the Hyuga clan in the future, Hinata," she declared, her words cutting like a sharpened blade.

A protective instinct rose within Neji as he stepped forward, positioning himself between Asami and Hinata. His voice carried an undertone of firmness as he addressed his younger sister. "Leave her alone, Asami," he warned, his tone brooking no argument.

A wicked smirk played upon Asami's lips as she took a step back, her eyes fixated on Hinata. "No," she countered, her voice dripping with a venomous confidence. "Hinata, how about you and I engage in a training session?"

Hinata's voice quivered, her nervousness palpable. "A-Asami-chan..."

Neji's eyes narrowed, his concern for Hinata intensifying. "Stop it, Asami," he commanded, his voice holding a note of authority.

Unyielding, Asami persisted, her taunts growing more cruel. "Come on, Hinata. Don't be a coward," she goaded, her voice laced with a toxic mixture of superiority and disdain.

Hinata's resolve stiffened as she lifted her gaze, determination glimmering within her once trembling eyes. She nodded, her voice steady with newfound determination. "Don't worry, Big Brother Neji. I'll be fine," she assured him, a flicker of confidence returning to her.