Chapter XVI: Training

Sasuke's eyes winced as the sun shined through the blinds. He woke up and felt a yawn in his throat as he stared up at the ceiling. His arms were still a little sore from all the kunai and shuriken throwing he did overnight.

After putting on his costume he left his room and explored the halls. He glanced over at other students being tutored by sidekicks and thought, 'Where's the kitchen in this place?'

"Ah, Sasuke. I was about to go get you."

Sasuke turned around and his sense of smell was stimulated by the plates Edgeshot and Tenten held. 

"Do you like fermented soybeans, Sasuke?" Tenten asked.

"There's no food I hate more," Sasuke grimaced. 

Tenten chuckled and handed him a filled plate, "Here's the one with a rolled omelet then. It's to die for, so I'm sure you'll like it." She gave him a sly smirk and a piercing stare.

Sasuke silently accepted the plate and Edgeshot stated, "Let's make our way back to the main Dojo. There's a lot left to teach, on one hand, there's something else you've been doing wrong ever since your recommendation exam."

"That far back?"

"Yes, show me that thing you do when you're trying to go fast."

Sasuke complied and his purple energy coiled around his body. Edgeshot looked him up and down and did a 'come here' motion, as he walked into the open field behind the main dojo. "This... Speed mode let's call it. It's bad, it's very amateur. Have you ever seen Samurai or Knight armor?"

Sasuke nodded and Edgeshot waved his hands, "Their armor was magnificent in design. The armor was centered around the most important spots that were likely to be hit, while the areas like the joints and behind the legs were freed up for mobility. You should do something similar, coils are inefficient unless you're trying to jump high. Instead of spreading that energy sloppily around your body, you should focus on making dense parts of it to enhance the parts of your body most important for movement, got it?"

He put a hand under his chin, "Yeah, the most important areas for full-body movement should be: calves, quads,  hamstrings, glutes, lats, obliques, shoulders, and maybe some others."

His purple energy started to morph, but Edgeshot raised a hand, "Before you try that out. We should do a before and after to see just how much your speed will improve. Try running to the other side of the hundred-meter field as fast as you can. I'll time you."

"Do you have a—"

Tenten pulled out a stopwatch, and Sasuke looked at the other side of the field and got into a stance. "Alright, count me down." Sasuke began thinking, 'When I did the fifty-meter sprint at school, my time was 4.20 seconds. Which would be more or less 8.40 seconds. Even though I'm using the same thing, my time should improve regardless.'

"3... 2... 1... Go!"

Sasuke left behind a small fog of dust as he charged across the field. Tenten pressed the button, "6 seconds!"

'About what I expected.'

While he walked back to them, Edgeshot said, "Not bad, now let's see how much that time improves when you improve your speed mode."

Sasuke closed his eyes, and the coils around his body morphed into translucent plates that covered his most important muscles for movement, all connected by strings. It covered most of his legs, his hips, his lats, down his arms, and up his spine onto his neck to prevent whiplash. Sasuke got into a running stance

"3... 2... 1... Go!"

A huge cloud of smoke was kicked up, and Sasuke traveled at a speed that would be invisible to normal people. Tenten coughed and kept one eye open to know when to press the button. When she looked down at the timer her eyes widened, "1 second!"