Chapter XII: Prove My Strength

Right away, Todoroki tried to freeze Deku with the ice spikes that raced toward him. Midoriya activated OFA and tried to punch the ice. It destroyed one spike, but before he could even pull his fist back, more ice was coming. 'Damn! 5% isn't strong enough to blow away all this ice! And I can't dodge it now that it's so close! I have to...' he held up his hand and flicked a finger at 100%. Completely blowing away all of the ice.

"WOAH! HE SMASHED IT!"

Deku clenched his hand and Todoroki sent another attack of spikes. Deku tried to dodge by jumping to the side. Todoroki narrowed his eyes and sent another while Deku was still in the air. Forcing him to blow it away with another finger at 100%.

"HE DESTROYED IT AGAIN!"

Sasuke peered closely at Todoroki. 'Every time Todoroki's ice is blown away, he's also sent skidding off the arena; nonetheless, he's catching himself with his ice.' He held his hands together in front of his face, 'For Midoriya to win this, he could probably rush towards him and spam a couple or more of his fingers to get him out, but I doubt he'd do that; although, just wearing him down should work too. If only Midoriya can consistently dodge...'

Deku's breaths were ragged as his hand shook. He thought, 'Damn! Even though I can use OFA safely now, I'm stuck with just breaking my fingers again! 5% isn't nearly strong enough to effectively deal with his ice. I have to see through his strategy... Come on, think. I have to find that opening! I only have six fingers left.'

Todoroki asked, "Are you trying to make this an endurance match? I'll just end this right now."

He shot more spikes which Deku blew away, but this time he also charged at Deku on the ice. Deku tried to blow it away again with another finger, but Todoroki jumped and almost landed on top of him, making Deku jump away. When Todoroki's hand slammed on the ground, more ice chased after Deku, but he was fast enough to dodge to the side.

While the fight progressed, up in the stands the masked man looked on; although, his eyes occasionally drifted to the stands where the 1-A students sat. Another man next to him leaned in. Half his face was covered and he asked, "Not interested in the fight?"

"It's a good fight, but I'm more interested to see Sasuke's upcoming fights. His quirk is interesting." 

"Have you decided to scout him out?"

"More than likely, but I'll see how he performs from here before I commit to the decision. What about you?"

"I have someone I plan on recruiting already. He can definitely use my guidance."

Down at the arena, Todoroki's ice was weakening, but Midoriya himself only had one uninjured finger left.

"Why are you going this far?"

Deku charged at him, "I want to live up to his expectations!"

While Midoriya explained his motivation Sasuke's brow furrowed, 'Midoriya, what are you talking to him about down there? If you focused entirely on offense you definitely could have beaten him by now.'

Deku punched Todoroki again, "I can't even begin to understand your circumstances or your resolution, but even so..." Sasuke popped into his mind.

"I think the idea that you'll become number one without using your full strength and that you're doing this to disavow someone is a damn joke!"

Todoroki looked down as memories of his abusive childhood flooded his memory, "Shut up..."

Deku got close to him, "That's why I'm gonna win! I'm gonna surpass you!" He punched him in the gut, sending him flying.