Zack Fair X Reader

pairing : zack fair x (female) reader

summary : zack is determined to reach first class. so much so that he will push through one of the most debilitating cold's he's ever had. angeal attempts to get him home, calling in zacks childhood best friend for help.

"Angeal! Come on! You know how important this is to me

"Angeal! Come on! You know how important this is to me.." Zack lets out a pitiful whine, attempting to persuade his superior, before his whine turns into a horrific coughing fit. He doesn't have to look up now that Angeal's face has made no changes, he is stoic and his decision is final, Zack will not be staying for work this week.

"You can take a week off.. Besides you're of no use to anybody with the state you're in. Go home, get some rest."

"Fine.."

"I mean it Zack.."

"Yeah..yeah..i heard ya." Zack crosses his arms, heavy sigh passing through his lips, eyebrows furrowing as he walks away from where Angeal stands. He was barely sick..a little cough wasn't gonna hold him back from becoming a first class SOLDIER.

Zack barely lasts 20 minutes away from his training before his sword is back in his hands. His constant coughing fits are feeling him with annoyance but he powers through them to continue swinging away with the chunk of metal in his hands.

But why was he so tired? He usually had so much energy. Why was his sword so hard to carry? It never had been before..

And why did it feel like someone's hand was on his shoulder? "Zack!"

He jumps away when there is suddenly shouting coming from beside him, his head pounding in a way that wasn't noticeable until this moment, "Angeal! Hey pal..what're you..uh..doing here?"

"What're you doing here? I told you to go home."

"I can't go home, this is too important, I'm not even that sick.." Even Zack's faith in the statement is beginning to falter, especially when his eyes become blurry from the dizziness pooling at the front of his head.

"Go home."

"No way!" Zack expects Angeal to disagree again but he doesn't, he actually doesn't say anything, he just walks away. It's so out of character that Zack debates just listening to him and leaving so he doesn't get demoted, but he decides against it and continues to practice while sweat pools on his skin.

It doesn't take long for Angeal to return, Zack isn't worried when he hears his heavy footsteps from down the hallway, but he is unaware of the other pair of feet following close behind.

At this point, Zack is just staying for spite, his body is exhausted and he is barely swinging his sword, and his coughing fits are becoming more frequent to the point where he has to stop moving to take deep breaths.