Chapter twenty-seven

Start from the beginning

He spent most of his time outside in the garden the older wolves in the Pack tended. He wasn't one to go in the garden, but he felt like that was where he would find peace.

The air was a bit humid, but he didn't mind. At least he was left alone after the people roaming in there felt his mood. It was solemn.

The Pack would feel his grieve in a couple of days, and they would know his pain, how he was rejected. Or maybe they won't. He just had to be strong, or maybe hopeful that Perez's parents would come through.

It wasn't long before his peace was disturbed. The irritation he felt when he saw Peter's face was shaming.

He didn't even know he was glaring at him until Peter mentioned it.

"I thought you wouldn't mind because in a few days, the Pack would know. They cornered me when they saw Tamera leaving with a few bags and Rolus," Peter defended.

"I get it," Luke said. Peter gave him a disbelieving look. "I do get it, so chill. But it is kind of funny how everyone seems so involved in my life. What I do, what I don't do. Give me hell, ask why I don't do this or that. Don't you think it's tiring?"

Peter was stunned. Luke was stunned too, but then the rage was too much to ignore.

"So go ahead and make excuses on why you felt the need to tell my parents." When Peter still didn't say anything, Luke continued. "Go ahead. Make the excuses. I'm waiting."

Peter got over his shock. He still maintained his distance when he spoke. "I apologize, Luke. It was not my place."

"Of course it was not your place, Peter! I'm too nice, right? That's why people take advantage, right? That's why everyone in this Pack feels the need to poke into my life, right? You all act like you understand what's going on at the moment, but you don't. You're forcing me to make things work with Rolus, as if it's my fault things are not working out!"

Peter didn't say anything for a while. Luke managed to rein in his temper, looking away from Peter.

"Do you understand what's going on?" Peter asked, his voice low.

"Don't patronize me," Luke growled.

"I'm not. You are taking your frustrations out on the wrong person. You don't want Alpha Rolus to take Tamera as his mate, but you yourself are not willing to become his mate."

Luke stood up, now seeing red. "Am I the one going to reject Rolus? Am I the one finding a replacement mate? Don't talk like-"

"Then are you willing to becoming his mate? Think for a second Luke, that if your issues could be solved right now, would you be willing to become Rolus' mate?"

Luke was about to reply, but then, stopped himself. Just like that, he came back from his high.

"Would you?"

The truth was that he didn't know. He didn't know if he was ready to officially become Rolus' mate. They were unfamiliar with each other, and he felt uneasy being with Rolus, as in having a relationship. He forgave the Alpha, but he didn't forget what he did. It was hard to get over his attempted rejection, and then keeping quiet and laughing at Luke when Luke thought he found his mate.

"Yes," he lied, focusing his eyes on Peter.

Peter shook his head, not agreeing. "And then what? You'll move to his Pack and find a new Alpha for us?"

Luke sat back down, no longer having the energy to fight. "Can you just for a second give me a break?"

Peter didn't say anything. He just waited for Luke to calm down and have a clear mind.

He sat next to him, but with a little space between them.

"Do you think I'm being selfish by not wanting him to have a replacement, yet I'm not willing to step up?" he asked, quietly.

Peter shook his head, putting a hand on Luke's shoulder. "No. But I know with time, you will step up."

Luke sighed, putting his head in his hands. "I can't even imagine us together. What's wrong with me?"

"Nothing is wrong with you. You have viewed Alpha Rolus as your enemy for the longest time. Of course it's going to be awkward suddenly getting into a relationship together."

"I should just let them go ahead. I'm trying here, but I don't see myself together with Rolus. He's my mate, yes, but I cannot fathom being in a romantic relationship with him. Sometimes I wish I had the mate bond. Do you think Rolus feels this way too?"

Peter shook his head. "He can't even breathe when you're not near."

Luke glared at him, but with a smile.

Peter was chuckling. "I'm just saying that he has immense self control."

Luke had a hard time believing that. If the mate bond was that strong, then how come Rolus was able to reject him the first time, or have the nerve to find a replacement?

Luke was convinced that the mate bond was not all that powerful. How could it be powerful if Rolus was able to choose a mate of his liking?

Luke shook his head. His safety and wellbeing was of paramount importance to Rolus, hence he was choosing another mate. Rolus was doing it for him. Yes, he was...?

Luke just had to convince himself. He hoped he wouldn't start to hate Tamera. That would be very vile of him to do. Would Rolus and him continue to have a relationship after his mating ceremony?

Luke didn't think so. He would be too hurt to face both of them, and by the time he knew it, it would be too late to mend whatever broke.

"I don't think Tamera will be allowed back here after the ceremony," Peter said, laughing humourlessly.

"Why? Did she say something to you?"

"No. The Pack won't allow her to come back. They will see it as betrayal to you. I don't think your mate will be allowed too."

Luke felt a bit better about that. It was sick of him, but he couldn't help himself.

"Come on. Let's head to dinner," Peter said, standing up.

"I'm coming now. You can head there."

Peter left, leaving Luke to try to listen to himself. Try to convince himself that Rolus was doing everything for him. That they had no choice.

He spent the next 10 minutes still outside. He was not hungry, at all. His mind was too occupied.

Why should Rolus have a replacement mate anyway? The punishment was that he shouldn't accept his Alpha mate. If he didn't do anything and just existed, it wouldn't be a problem. Right?

Before he could sink further into his mind, he went back to the Pack House. He thanked the Moon Goddess that he didn't run into his parents when he went to get his food. He grabbed his plate and disappeared into his bedroom.