Chapter 20: Zandik

Art by @A_ir___ on Twitter

------------------

"Go on, worms, work faster! We don't have time to lose!" Scaramouche yells to some of your subordinates before laughing to himself. You simply look at him then at the workers.

"For a 400 year old guy, you surely are childish."

He turns his attention toward you and sends you a glare.
"Why are you talking to me you dumb mortal?! Get lost!"

You roll your eyes, leaving a sigh. You turn around and just leave him in his own excitement for this machine. He frowns and follows behind you. You arrive near a table full of papers. Not far, you perceive Omega and Azar speaking about the project. You take one of the papers to read its content and see the protocols once more.

Scaramouche sits on the corner of the table, looking at you.

"So, how has the Fatui been during these past few months?" He asks, more like out of boredom.

"Depends for whom. Signora died after a duel with The Traveler before the Shogun's throne and you have fled away without any news, so the organisation has been quite agitated. There have been a couple more issues but I don't care."

"So she died? Good." He shrugs, "We can now tell she is Miss Worldwide I suppose: She was born in Mondstadt, studied in Sumeru, worked for Snezhnaya, fought for Kaenri'ah, did business in Liyue and died in Inazuma. May she suffer in Hell" he laughs, to which you simply lowly chuckled, not paying too much attention.

"I also suppose this project is to your liking? If I remember well, you once told me you were expelled from The Akademiya for trying to manipulate human evolution or something."

You shake your head, "I was actually expelled for other reasons but they were on the same level as seeking forbidden knowledge or trying to touch human evolution." You calmly say, taking another paper to read, "While we finish finalizing this robot, we will make an experiment with the Akasha by creating a time loop. This will take time to explain, but basically, we are manipulating the people of Sumeru with the help of dreams."

"Interesting... But if you are one of the people inside this time loop, do you have the ability to break it and get free? Or is it something you cannot escape and you just need to wait for the masterminds to stop it to be free?" He asks curiously.

"You have a chance but that will make you dance and consume your mind." You chuckle, "Where is the fun if they cannot escape with a small puzzle?"

Scaramouche nods, expecting you to try to break people mentally. He then looks at Azar and Dottore.

"This old man looks like an asshole."

"Who? Dottore or Azar?"

"Both. But I was talking about the one who's supposed to rule the Akademiya."

You laugh, "Don't worry he is. If you dare do something that doesn't go in his way of thinking, you can get sent in the desert as a punishment."

You then feel something lightly touch the back of your neck. You immediately cover it with your hand and death glare at Scaramouche.

"This is new." He says with amusement and mockery as he stares at your new vision. You then grab his hand and drag him closer to you.

"If you ever dare mentioned that thing, I will personally drag you back to the lab and amusingly torture you until your mechanism will stop working. Once done, I'll fix you to repeat the process again and again. And only after I'm bored, I will dismember you and will bring you back to your creator only to see her leave you once more because of how pathetic you are."