Ch. 38: Couldn't Be Better

Start from the beginning

"I don't know.." He sighs deeply. Not letting go of me, but I don't want him to.

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Ross' hand twitching.

"Riker look...I think he's waking up!" I jump out of his arms and scurry to the bedside.

Ross groans quietly and his body makes slow movements until his eyes open slightly, barely.

"Ross, baby I'm here..I'm here." I tell him calmly, trying to hold back my excitement.

"Laur.." His voice is not even a whisper. It's hardly even there.

I smile to myself and wipe a tear from my eye. Taking his hand and kissing it softly, he smiles too. A small smile, but it was the best thing to me to see.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

~Four months later~

It's been four months since the accident. Things are finally beginning to go back to normal. No one had any long term injuries. Ross was sent home with a broken arm but I was still relieved because it could have been a lot worse.

Rydel had a concussion and some amnesia. She doesn't remember me, which breaks my heart, but I'm happy for Ellington that she remembers him. The doctor says her memory will come back, so I have hope.

Anyway enough about the bad stuff, a lot of good has happened within the past few months as well.

I only have 5 months left until my son or daughter joins me in this crazy world. I got a job as a hand model. A little weird I know but it gives me something to do while Ross is at therapy.

R5 had to push back the tour until next year. Which I think is a good thing with the baby and everyone being in such a traumatic accident.

"Hey Laura right?" Rydel says with a bright smile. I've gotten used to this by now.

"Yeah what's up Delly?"

"Ross has a surprise for you in the backyard."

"Okay I'm coming." I answer, putting my diary away in my drawer.

As I walk outside to the backyard, there's no one around. It's quiet..too quiet.

"Ross where are you?" I try to yell but it comes out as a whisper.

The steady beat of a guitar fills my ears and I follow the sound and find him perched on top of the roof. Playing the guitar.

"Ross get down from there! That's not safe!" I scold him, terrified of witnessing him falling.

"Shhh baby I do this all the time." He replies still strumming on the little guitar.

"Ross you were just in the hospital. I don't want to see you end up there again, please just come down." I beg him.

He looks down at me and nods coming down a ladder with the guitar strapped around his shoulder.

His hair was covering his eyes, messier than usual. He refuses to get a haircut, but I won't complain. It looks good on him. Everything does.

"What are you up to?" I ask, giving him a smirk.

He smirks right back at me.

"Well I was thinking that we could go on a trip."

"A trip?" I raise an eyebrow at him, honestly I'm not in the mood for a trip.

"Yeah..to a very special place. I want to show it to you and our baby." He smiles, setting the guitar down to be closer to me.