Chapter Twenty-Six: Aftermath and Resolve

Start from the beginning

Whispers raced through the hall as eyes turned to the young woman who stepped forward. Though younger, Hua bore a striking resemblance to Jinhua, her determined gaze hinting at untapped strength.

"While I may no longer be fit for the frontlines," Jinhua continued, "my dedication to Xianzhou remains unwavering. I will train the next generation of Cloud Knights, ensuring that they are ready for whatever challenges await."

Another council member, a seasoned strategist, nodded slowly. "Your wisdom remains sharp as ever, General. While we lament your departure from active combat, your role as a mentor is invaluable."

Jinhua bowed respectfully. "Thank you."

---

On one of the bridges of Xianzhou, a setting sun painted the horizon with hues of gold and crimson, reflecting the delicate shimmer of the waters below. Hua stood there, the breeze gently ruffling her bluish-purplish hair, her commanding gaze fixed on Jinhua's missing left arm. The sight stirred a whirlwind of emotions within her, regret, anger, and sorrow intertwined.

Hua finally spoke, her voice layered with regret, "I should've been there, with you, with all of you during the war." Her striking blue eyes sought answers in Jinhua's.

Jinhua, with the grace and understanding of an elder sister, shook her head gently. "Your duty was here, safeguarding Xianzhou. I trust your judgment and capabilities. Xianzhou needed you more."

Hua opened her mouth, perhaps to protest or agree, but the sheer weight of Jinhua's conviction, her sisterly authority, stopped the words in their tracks.

After a moment of silence, with the wind carrying their thoughts away, Hua inquired, "What do you think the High Cloud Quintet is doing now? They've lost two of their own."

Jinhua gazed upwards, the stars beginning their dance in the twilight. "They're mourning, like the rest of us," she whispered. "The bonds they shared were deep. To lose someone that close... it takes time to heal."

The younger sister remained silent, pondering on her elder's words. But Jinhua, ever the perceptive sister, added a teasing note, "Are you still mourning for Y/N? You did have a soft spot for him, didn't you?"

Hua's stoic facade shattered momentarily. She blushed, a stark contrast to her pale skin, and hastily covered Jinhua's mouth. "Sister!" she admonished, her voice a mix of embarrassment and faux anger.

Jinhua's eyes twinkled mischievously, her laughter echoing softly. "It's rare to see you like this," she commented, clearly enjoying the moment.

The sisters shared a tender moment of understanding, the weight of the recent events still heavy, but made slightly lighter in each other's company. Yet, Jinhua's thoughts soon shifted to another member of their tight-knit group, Jingliu. She wondered aloud, "I wonder how Jingliu is holding up. She's been through so much."

---

In a corner of Xianzhou Luofu, away from the bustling streets, the rhythmic clanging of metal against metal echoed through the walls of a dimly lit smithy. Amidst the dancing flames and molten steel, Ying Xing meticulously crafted weapons, each one a masterpiece in its own right. His white hair, resembling the moonlight, cascaded gracefully down his back, complemented by the fierce intensity of his eyes. With the red tassel earring swaying with every motion, his hands moved with a precision that spoke of years of dedication and skill.

But as the weapons took shape under his deft touch, there was a palpable heaviness in the air. Every blade and hilt, instead of being a testament to his unmatched craftsmanship, seemed to weigh him down with sorrow. The joy that once bloomed from his heart with the creation of each weapon had been replaced by a profound sadness.