Chapter 5 Part 6: The Good, The Bad, And The Blackened

Start from the beginning

"..." I stared at him, unable to speak. Arima glared at me.

"HOW WAS I TO KNOW THAT SHE SAVED ME!? ALL I SAW WAS TWO DEAD BODIES, AND MIYAZAKI STANDING OVER BOTH OD THEM!!!" Arima screamed, wiping tears from his eyes. "I DIDN'T WANT TO DIE!!! I THOUGHT THAT IF I TOLD EVERYONE WHAT SHE DID, SHE'D BRING ME DOWN WITH HER!!! I ACTED LIKE I CARED ABOUT HER, BUT I WAS JUST TRYING TO SAVE MY OWN SKIN!!!" Arima took a long, deep breath, looking down at his shaking hands. "Ever since we got here... I've been scared... like I've never been before. I had worked... so hard to get myself to a place where I'd never be scared again. I did those stupid stunts so I'd be unable to fear anything. But I was wrong. I- I was an idiot. I've become more scared than I have ever been, even after doing so much." Arima stared up at me. "I don't want to be scared anymore. So please, just... tell me."

"... I- I can't..." I replied. Arima took a deep breath.

"... then I guess this is goodbye..." Arima said, turning around and walking out of the door. I stared at the door.

I guess that was true. You can't really trust someone after they drop some horrible information on you. I just... I don't know. I guess I can't please everyone. I looked up at the time. I paused for a moment, before walking into the kitchen, opening the freezer and pulling out a tub of ice cream. I grabbed a spoon, and then walked out of the room and over to their door.

I knocked on the door. No one answered. I tried it again. No answer.

"Sugai! I brought you ice cream!!!" I yelled. I waited a couple of seconds, trying to see if he'd open the door. I knocked again. "Sugai!"

Should I hang out with Sugai Tatsuo? -Yes- -No-

...

Sugai rejected the offer.

I sighed, placing the ice cream on the floor outside of the door, placing the spoon on top. I walked away. He didn't want to be bothered. And I wasn't going to push it.

I wandered around for a bit. I couldn't get my mind off of what Arima had said, especially now that I was thinking about that murder. God... I just want to get this out of my head. I wish I hadn't stood up for myself. None of this would've happened if I had just let it happen. I was going to come to Yuutsumi anyway, I wouldn't have ever seen those three girls again. At least then I wouldn't be so horrified to close my eyes. Maybe I wouldn't be so scared of making little decisions. Maybe... maybe I'd live in piece.

I sat against the wall, staring at the ground. My breaths became faster, as I leaned my head against the wall, trying not to panic. But I was losing myself again. I felt like I was going to pass out.

"..." I stared at the ground.

I wish mom were there. At the court. When I was trialed for Masako's murder. When I was found to have done it in self defense. And technically manslaughter. She was the greatest person I'd ever met. She was like my rock. The one person I could turn to. And then... she just... disappeared. Out of my life. And I really needed her. And my dad. I need them both. I want to go home.

Tears ran down my cheeks. I made such a huge mistake coming here. I should've just given up on those stupid dreams, and just stayed in some regular high school. What is wrong with me!? I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Hirano?" Someone called out. I stood up, staring at them with wide eyes.

"O-oh! H- hey Otani!" I stuttered, waving to him slightly. He stared at me for a moment.

"Are you okay?" He replied, frowning to himself. I took a deep breath.

"Yeah. Just, thinking." I responded. Otani sighed, walking over to me.