16| Double-sided

S. Sainz

I drowned in the haze of the celebration for Carlos. I watched as he received the Pirelli wheel for pole position and my chest swelled with pride. "CARLOS! CARLOS! CARLOS!," I encouraged the crowd and they all followed in suit. Still, I couldn't take my eyes off him and neither did he, and all I could do was drown completely.

___

However, after spending some time talking to Max and Charles, I hitched a ride with Max back to the hotel. When I arrived at my room, I heard the muffled screams. My room was right next to Carlos and Esme...and I knew exactly what they were arguing about, the kiss. We'd barely gotten into the season and I'd completely messed up the entire dynamic of the deal.

Not long after I tossed my bag aside, I heard a rushed knock on my door. It was angry and loud that I knew exactly who it was waiting for me behind that door. I took a deep breath and turned the knob, realising that I may have not only struck a nerve but broke a friendship. To the lack of my surprise, the door opened to reveal Esme, her face was red in anger but flushed with tears with her mascara running down to no abandon.

"I can't believe you!," she said as she shoved me into my room and slammed the door behind her. "You kissed him back!," she said as she shoved me again and I nearly tripped over myself. When I saw that she was about to shove me again, I grabbed her wrists and said, "Watch it Esmeralda, just because you're mad, doesn't mean you get to hit me."

"Oh so you want to stand up for yourself now?," she said as she mocked me, "My name is Salomé, I pretend that I stand up for myself but really I let guys how fuck me HIT ME! YOU ARE JUST BULLSHIT!"

"Me?! Bullshit?! What are you talking about?!," I yelled back. I was completely hurt by what she's doing. Why was she saying all of this?!

"You know what, since you have no problems with kissing my boyfriend...I won't have any remorse FINALLY TELLING YOU THIS!," she yelled, her eyes staring holes into my head.

"You just can't drill it into your head can you?," she said as she grabbed me by my hair and pulled hard enough that it made me scream, "Don't you understand? I'm the main girl, you're the wingman. You wanna know why your ex-fiancé Luka was gone so many nights. It's because he was in my bed."

"Esme no, please tell me this isn't true-."

She let go of my hair and said with a proud look on her face, "Of course it's true. Don't you see Sal, no matter how much your daddy and mummy loves you, you will always be a footnote in history. You deserve nothing. I only put up with you because I'd been friends with you for too long when I should've left when I started to see the cracks."

__

July 22, 2017: Oxford University Flats

8pm

It's been two hours since I've finished cooking Luka's meal and here I am still waiting. My butt was getting sore from sitting on the dining table chair and the food had definitely gone cold by now. He said he was going to be at the flat by 6pm and still, he was nowhere to be found.

My makeup had completely worn off at this point from all the steam from cooking. My feet were aching from the pumps that I still wore. Normally I'd be in my pyjamas when I cook but Luka said to just stay in my day clothes because I look more presentable. I listened. I wanted this engagement to work because it would mean a lot for papá's company. The brewery is everything to him and this partnership is very important.