14| Survival

S. Sainz

"I really don't want to do this interview," I said as I tried to fix the annoyingly short skirt that the stylist gave me. She dressed me in this weird Chanel get-up that's made for petite people. Carlos looked at me pensively then said, "I'm sorry I couldn't give you much of a honeymoon. I know watching me doing winter testing was not exactly the best honeymoon."

"Yes, you should be sorry, when you nearly crashed, I nearly had a heart attack," I scolded and a smile grew on his face as he said, "You were worried?"

"I was worried and had nothing much else to do aside from watch and be the good wife I have to be," I said as I decided to look out the window while Carlos drove the car. "Salomé-."

"Look, don't Salomé me, do you have any idea how lonely it gets having to play it up for the cameras while you go to Esme and have your own fun," I yelled, "But as soon as I have fun and hangout with someone, YOU PUNCH THEM!"

"Where is this coming from?! What are you talking about?!," he yelled as he tried to keep his focus on the road. "Oh! Don't you remember when you ransacked your limo to beat up Max on my bachelorette-."

"Why are you bringing this up now?!," he yelled back but then he stopped himself from raising his voice any further, "Look, I don't want to yell at you so can you just set aside these imaginary transgressions of yours and let me drive in peace because I just want to have a cool head for the third free practice." I groaned in annoyance yet I still relented...despite the memories after the wedding kept running through my head.

__

The day after the wedding

I woke up to an empty space beside me on the bed. I didn't fight for anything last night, I don't know why I expected Carlos to be just beside me.

—-

2 weeks ago

I sat on a table overlooking the beach in Maldives completely humiliated as I waited at the table to no avail. Carlos said he'd try his best to meet me for dinner to play up for the paps but here I was, constantly asking for the waiter to wait for a few more minutes. I don't know how many times he'd refilled my water that I was starting to get full from just drinking.

"Maam, do you want to orde-," he asked and I said again, "Just a few more minutes please, he's running a little late." The waiter nodded and refilled my water again then left. Still, I held out hope and hoped that maybe he did care and cared enough not to embarrass me...especially when I can hear all the camera flashes in the background. I could begin to hear their screams:

Salomé! Where's your husband?!

Salomé! Is it true your new beau has a blonde on his side?!

How do you feel about changing your last name to Sainz on your media profiles?!

Now the last question I heard was the one I wanted to answer. I actually did it as a cute gesture but turns out cute gestures only end up with you waiting for your fake husband...hoping he decides he cares enough about you to show up. But the minutes started building up. The minutes turned into an hour and my stomach started to rumble. The waiter came back for what had to be the 20th time but this time
I gave up.

"Umm before you say anything, I want to make this less painful for me so could you just please give me the fattest piece of steak and lobster you have, dripping with butter...like obscenely dripping with butter."