nine

Our Baby Boy...

It had been a few hours since birth, and Natalie was moved into another room where she would have to stay for about two days for recovery. They wanted to make sure she and the baby had no problems, checking on her from time to time. She was still going to be assisted by nurses with anything she and the baby needed; this new space would allow her to bond with her son.

She slowly opened her eyes, and it was then that Natalie noticed she fell asleep. The small nap was beneficial to her, as she felt a bit more rejuvenated than when she first got up. She got the chance to eat and freshen herself up around that time, but the tiredness she felt was sneaking in on her.

While tucking her hair behind her ears, she let her eyes shift over to see Sam was sitting in the chair holding the baby. The corners of her mouth twitched as the smile slowly formed, watching that his gaze never leave the little boy's face.

She couldn't fathom that she really had a baby, and with Sam Castillo at that. If you were to tell her a year ago that this would be their life, she would tell you that you were lying. Hell, if it were five years ago, she would tell you to get out of her face with the lies.

None of this was planned, and Luca came at the right time.

Just getting to hold him in his arms, Sam was able to find peace, forgetting about everything else for a small second as Luca stared up at him. This little boy was the only thing that mattered, and Sam still couldn't put into words how he felt. But one thing he did know was that he would never forget this precious moment.

Natalie went on to watch them for about five minutes in silence, not sure who to look at. From the distance and the way Luca was positioned, she couldn't see his face, but she was able to study Sam's, and boy did he look fine.

She hadn't realized she was mirroring his smile, and before she was caught, she had to pull herself out of the trance.

Not only to not come off weird, but also to make sure she doesn't get herself in over her head about things.

damn, one visit and your back lusting after him.

Gradually, she pulled her attention away from them to observe the extra flowers and balloons now in the room. Everyone stayed as long as they were allowed to last night, Sam being the exception to stay the night since he was the father.

Seizing the opportunity, Sam didn't leave their side for hours. He only left once, and that was when he first woke up, needing to shower and change his clothes at home. Upon entering the room again, Sam quickly lifted his son from the small bed and hadn't gotten up since.

Natalie tried to be quiet, reaching over for her phone on the table next to her, but the small movement caught Sam's attention. Locking eyes with her, he sees that she finally woke up from her nap. She sent him an apologetic look, taking her phone into her grasp.

She may have gone through an entire birth, but she still looked beautiful, and Sam acknowledged that.

"How you holdin' up?" he asked, catching her off guard. Even if he wasn't happy with what had happened, he couldn't sit here and pretend he didn't care.

"In pain, but I'll be fine," she sighed before asking, "is he awake?"

"Yeah," Sam responded, glancing down to see the little boy blinking at him. In Sam's embrace, he appeared and felt so small, mind-boggled, as the infant just laid there in comfort.

"Can I hold him?" she asked lowly, watching Sam nod before he stood up from the chair to make his way to her.

Getting the tiny human in her grasp, she felt her nose tingle as she fought back the tears. Natalie didn't want to keep crying every time she held him, but it was impossible. She and Sam created this little person, and he was the most adorable thing ever.