Thirty Eight // Future

It's been six years since that day with Ashton. We never got caught in school or in public, ever....until i graduated at least.

Two years later, we got engaged. We finally told my parents and well....they didn't take it very well. They recognised him from parent teacher meetings and things just went badly downhill the whole evening and ashton left with my dad's spaghetti stained down his white shirt.

We didn't care though, we got back up and didn't let anyone stop us. But sure enough, something happened. Ashton and I had fights constantly but this fight was different.

He came home drunk one night but alcohol wasn't the only thing he smelt of; women's perfume too. His hair was messy and his forehead had beads of sweat lining his hair. I knew before i asked.

He cheated on me. He had sex with a girl in the rooms above the bar. He couldn't even say anything apart from denying it.

----

I stood opposite him in the kitchen. My fists were balled as my lip quivered; i was on the verge of tears, "Ashton..."

He only looked down. It was the look of guilt and betrayal. The first tear fell as i gasped. I whispered, "I need to go."

I rushed past him into our bedroom. He walked in and blocked the door, "baby, don't go."

I grabbed my gym bag and started throwing clothes into it. I put my necessities into it as i could always get someone to pick up the rest of it later on. "Don't call me baby!" I yelled, "you're a cheater ashton! You're a cheater."

"I'm sorry," he gulped.

"No you're not," i huffed as i threw the bag over my shoulder before pushing past him. I walked to the front door of our house. He stood at the top of the stairs with an upset face, tears staining his cheeks.

"please don't?" He begged.

I took my engagement ring off and threw it at him along with my house key. "Goodbye ashton," was the last thing i said to him.

----

I have only ever seen ashton once after that. I was walking down the street once with my new boyfriend Michael Clifford. We had gotten so close as mine and Ashton's relationship progressed and he was the one who kept me sane after our breakup. One thing lead to another and two years on, i realised that i didn't need ashton and finally moved on. Then i noticed that michael had been there for me the entire time.

Anyway.... Michael and I were walking along the lonely 5am streets of York when i saw him. My heart stopped as i clung to Michael harder. "Mikey..." I whispered.

He whispered, "You're okay. You have me princess."

Ashton was with a slim blonde. She was beautiful. When we were close enough Michael said, "Hey mate!"

We both stopped walking to talk. "Hey Michael!" Ashton cheered at Michael. He turned to me. He still looked at me the same way he always did. He softly spoke, "It's been a while lauren."

"indeed ashton," i smiled. Even though I've moved on I still feel a dull ache in the bottom of my heart when i look at him and hear his voice. He was my first love and i was his. We will always have some sort of feelings for each other.

We held eye contact for what seemed like hours but was only seconds. We both snapped out of our trance and he cleared his throat, "This is Alice, my girlfriend."

"Hi," she smiled politely.

There was a period of time filled with awkward silence with Ashton and my eyes locked on each other's again. Mikey wrapped his arm around my waist, "i think we better get home. Um...see you two another time maybe?"

"Yeah sure!" Ashton cheered, "bye mike!" He looked a me with sadness in his eyes as he whispered, "Goodbye Lauren."

I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye. I simply smiled at him as Michael lead me away. I tried my hardest not to cry but the tears fell from my eyes. Michael noticed and softly spoke," Hey, hey, hey." He pulled us over so he sat on a small wall and sat me so i sat sideways across his knee with my face buried in his chest. He wrapped his arms around my body as he rested his head on mine as he swayed us gently. He whispered, "Shhh baby, it's okay."

"I don't even know why I'm crying," i wiped the tears away as i sat back to face him.

"Because he was your first love," he smiled even though his words hurt him, "You'll always love him."

I wrapped my arms around his torso and rested my cheek against his chest. I sighed, "i love you Mikey."

"I love you too princess," he smiled. I looked up at him before placing a sweet kiss on his lips.

****

"Did you ever see Ashton again?" My beautiful grand-daughter, Megan, asked.

"I did," i nodded, "on my wedding day. He was there with his fiancée Alice. We talked about how we planned our wedding perfectly. We were going to get married at Corfe Castle and our first dance would be to All I want by Kodaline." I smiled as my eyes turned watery from the memory.

"do you still love Ashton?" She asked.

I nodded, "I do."

"But not as much as her sexy husband!" Mikey appeared at the door. Me and Megan both laughed at her goofy granda.

"Granda Mikey, do you know the story of granny and Ashton?" Megan asked.

"He was my best friend," he smiled as he stroked her dark hair out of her eyes as she sat on his knee as he took a seat on the sofa beside me. "I was there every step of the way."

So maybe I'm not living the life I planned 51 years ago when i was 18 or 19, but i had everything i could ever want right here. My loving husband Mikey. My three kids; Emma, Chris and Dylan. My seven lovely grandchildren too!

Maybe i didn't have my fancy wedding in Corfe castle with Ashton but i got one better...i got married to the love of my life on the beach in Antigua. What more could i ask for?

And that's the story of how Mr Irwin lead me to become Mrs Clifford.

Hey guys!

Sorry this was so terribly bad and cane to a quite abrupt ending! It was terrible and I'm sorry.
Sorry for the (not really a) happy-ish ending. I didn't want it to be like all the others where they go off and get maried and have lots of babies haha
Most of you will be annoyed by this plot twist but it was different from the normal endings yeah...

I want to write a new book in my teacher series and i have the plot already. IT'S BETTER THAN THIS ONE I SWEAR!

I don't know who to do though: Mr Irwin again or Mr Clifford or Mr Hemmings or Mr Hood... Help me make my decision in the comments?

Sorry it was so short but i love yous! Bye x