Thirty Four // Rain

Oh god. Luke looked at me with panicked eyes. I whispered, "Come on!" We walked back to the beach.

Ashton stormed over and grabbed Luke by the neck and yelled, "What do you think you're doing? I saw the empty bottles of vodka Luke so don't lie. You're here with my girlfriend and got her drunk, things aren't looking up for you buddy."

"Ashton please," i tried to pry his hands off Luke's throat. Unexpectedly, he shoved me back causing my to fall onto the sand. I dusted myself off and stood up. I demanded, "Let go of him."

"Do you want me to take my anger out on you?" He yelled. "You're so irresponsible...the both of you."

"Oh yes, silly little irresponsible me," i slurred, "I fall in love with my teacher and get pregnant-"

"Pregnant?!" Luke basically shouted.

"Lauren don't-" ashton begged but i cut him off.

"Yes but i got an abortion because what irresponsible child is pregnant and has the baby? And ashton would probably be embarrassed by me. Wouldn't be unusual," i shrugged.

"I am not embarrassed of you!" Ashton exclaimed, "I'm proud that you're my girlfriend-"

"So proud that we can't go out properly into public? So proud that you don't have to hide every three seconds," i said, "Aren't i lucky..."

"Hey!" He fully turned to me. "Don't turn this around. You aren't helping yourself. You're only annoying me further."

"You know what?" I've had enough of his shit. "You have annoyed me and thats why I'm drinking."

"How? You avoided me all day and i haven't done anything! Tell me, what did i do?" He sounded even angrier.

I shrieked, "You have made Jack my partner! I bumped into jack last night and he really pissed me off and then out of no where... He kissed me!"

"He what?!" Ashton yelled in fury.

"Yeah," i crossed my arms, "He kissed me. I felt horrible but you had to be a cock and assign me with him. But now... Now I'm not even sorry."

Luke and Ashton both glared at me with wide eyes. Ashton yelled, "you just get better and better, don't you? I can't deal with you in this state. I'm out of here."

He turned and walked away. I ran up to him and grabbed his arm, "Baby, wait."

He snatched his arm out of my grasp and growled, "Don't 'baby' me. I'll see you in class, Miss Deyes."

I watched him drive off. What have i done? I turned to see Luke dressing himself again. I went over and put the rest of my uniform on too. He said, "I'm not fit to drive us home."

"Neither am i," i sighed. "I'll ring Michael."

****

"So you had a fight with ashton?" Michael asked as i sat beside him in the front seats.

"Yup," i said, not averting my attention from out of the window to him once.

He asked, "you broke up?"

I shrugged, "i don't know. He didn't say it officially but i can kind of pick it up from the whole 'I'll see you in class, miss deyes'."

"So which Jack was this?" He asked.

I stated, "Jack McBride. I cannot believe this. I just had to blurt it out, didn't i?"

"Never liked that guy," Michael shook his head, "He was too quiet for my liking. They're the dodgy type. You see Lauren, he may seem quiet but i guarantee you he's a freak in between the sheets."

"Mike!" Luke exclaimed from the backseat. "This is Ashton's girl. You can't make her like another guy!"

"I'm just saying my opinion," Michael chuckled.

As we neared the school i couldn't help but feel like throwing up. I don't know whether it was the alcohol or the guilt. I guess the reality of sober emotions consumed my brain all too fast.

Michael pulled up in his usual parking space. I got out and walked quickly into the building as it was pouring down with rain. I stormed straight into my bedroom and slammed the door.

"Rough night?" I almost jumped out of my skin.

"Claire!" I exclaimed, holding my chest as i tried to steady my breathing. "I didn't know you would be here."

"We do share a dorm," she giggled from her bed. "So what's wrong?"

"I sobered up too quickly for my ant chode of a brain to handle," i sat on the edge of my bed to face her. "You know, without all your makeup you're actually stunning. Okay, maybe i still have the truthful aspect of being drunk left in my system. But seriously, why do you wear a hefty amount of makeup when you look so amazing when natural?"

"It's all down to a scientific fact," she shrugged. "A while back i was doing a report for English on something i felt strongly about. I made three different dating profiles, all with different photos. In one i wasn't wearing any makeup and i wore a jumper and jeans. In the second i wore natural makeup and a cute top and shorts. In the third i did my clubbing makeup: foundation, contour, smokey eye, dark nude lip, eyeliner and so on. In that one i wore a tight, bodycon, velvet mini dress that showed off both my boobs and legs. A fair amount of men talked to me on my first profile but there was just a hint of flirting. A fair amount of men also started talking to me over my second. They were funny and flirty. A fair amount of men also started talking to me on my third profile. They talked to me in a sexual and darn right inappropriate way. I learned that if i want something meaningless then i should wear more makeup and dress inappropriately."

I sat for a minute as i processed all the information. I asked, "Do you ever lie in bed at night and crave someones arms around you? Or you crave a good morning kiss from them as you wake? Do you not wish there was that one person who knows you almost as well, if not better, than you know yourself?"

"Of course i do," she sighed, "But once you get a reputation as this," she gestured to herself, "There's no going back. I am who I've made myself. I can't change that."

"Of course you can," i smiled as i walked over to her. I put her blonde hair into a messy bun and pulled small strands down to frame her face. "Go into school like this tomorrow. Let everyone see the real you. Let people know that you are confident and respectable. If you don't respect yourself then how do expect others to respect you? Huh? Exactly, you can't."

"You're right," she smiled, "And I'll also be myself. Not the snobby little bitch who'll suck your dick under the table." We both laughed as we knew that she did in fact give off those vibes. "I'll be myself."

"Good stuff," i smiled. I took my uniform off and put on an oversized t-shirt. I took my minimal makeup off before sliding into bed.

I was about to turn the lamp off when claire said, "Just so you know. I'm always here if you need me."

"Okay, goodnight," i smiled as i turned off the lamp and made myself comfortable in bed. How come i help other people in their situations but yet I'm clueless as to how i can help myself out of this situation.