41

The gallops of horses echoed through the empty forest as the village near the wall got closer and closer.

  You were soon in the air, the command of searching and killing any Titan seen bellowed for the entire troop. Your Squad took a certain section of the village, mainly the centre. "Scour the area. Don't leave a single street or house. Come back here after you've finished your work." You ordered and took off one after the other.

  Eyebrows furrowed in concentration, your sight reached each and every corner that was visible to you. You shot your hooks here and there, flying in each street, examining each house, but...

But not a single Titan nor a shifter was in sight.

Just for your own sake, you took an entire round of the area that was assigned to you, only to find out that there was indeed no Titan here. Following your own orders, you went back to the recon house and we're shocked to see your squad already waiting for you.

"Report." You asked that moment your feet touched the roof.

  The members frowned, looking at eachother in unease until Stella step up and saluted.

"We didn't find any Titan in our areas, Captain!"

"Oh."

  This was definetly weird. No Titans? How was that possible? You looked around in a moment to gather your thoughts. Gulping, you looked back at them.

"The rest of you gather Intel from the rest of our Squads. Report back at the wall, I'll be with the Commander." You finally said after a minute of thinking. They nodded and went away. You took your own way to the walls, speeding as you reached the top and found Erwin already talking with Hange and Levi. They looked at you with an understanding look.

"No luck your way too?" Erwin asked.

"Even you didn't find any Titans?" You asked back, shocked at the discovery.

Erwin sighed in disappointment and shook his head. "None. We're not sure why but it's definitely the doing of the Armoured and the Colossal Titan." His face hardened at his own words, distaste at the thought.

  A voice came from the side, approaching you and Erwin as Hange and Levi went away to their squads, ready to seal Wall Maria. Armin ran to your side, panting, a look of worry plastered onto his face. "Commander Erwin, we found a set of utensils by the side of the Walls. The drinks smelled unfamiliar, but good." He reported in a hurry.

Erwin nodded. "Were they hot then?"

Armin gulped and shook his head. "No, they were cold." He looked at you in worry and you understood.

"They wouldn't have known we were coming, right?" You caught on to what they were talking about.

"I'm afraid they did." Erwin muttered.

"Perhaps they have another Titan on their side. Another shifter? Who knows, they must have a whole army of them." You rested a hand on your chin, uneasiness bubbling within you.

  Erwin frowned, his eyes settled on the horizon. He glanced at Armin and then laid his eyes on you. You had an uncanny feeling, knowing exactly what he was going to do. "Destiny, your experience allows me to give you-"

"Armin." You called out before Erwin finished what he had to say. The blonde boy perked up and looked at you. "Give us a moment, please." You requested. He nodded and walked away, his eyes glazed with thoughts and theories about the current situation.

  When Armin reached out of earshot, your eyes trained onto your Commander. "I know you want me to take charge of this mission." You stated. The man in front of you simply nodded in response. "Well, I don't want to."