the move | adele

———❁———

after mum's divorce was finalised she realised that living in London no longer made her happy.

she tried to stick it out for as long as possible for me and Angelo but i knew it made her absolutely miserable.

when she got the offer for her vegas weekends she was over the moon.

we sat down at our kitchen table and talked about it for hours on end.

Angelo was more than happy to go to American as long as he could see his dad and he got to try 'American foods'.

me on the other hand, i was not as delighted. i was almost at the legal age for driving in the uk and this would mean i would have to get my licence in america, then a british license on top of that.

not to mention how i was only a year of legal drinking in the uk and going to america would restrict my ability to go clubbing by a significant number of years.

the thing that bugged me the most was school. i had all my childhood friends here, people who had known me for my whole life and i was 100% certain that they wouldn't using me for who i was.

i would also have to learn a whole new school system, it's not like having sixth form and college, i'd be back in high school in one of their last years.

it was a lot to think about and mama and i talked and argued about it for a while.

she understood me completely and was ready to drop the whole idea of i said no, i wasn't like angelo. i didn't have a dad to run off to and spend the weekend with. i never knew who my dad was.

if i said no mama wouldn't have the option of leaving me with my dad. i decided her happiness.

i'm all honesty i was willing to go, america doesn't seem all that awful. their school system in private school was a step up from the school i was in now. and i would have more opportunities to go to a college using football.

i just hated the fact that i argued with her. i was being so selfish and i was taking out my anger on her. in reality i was angry at myself. i was being such an idiot.

the move took 3 months. i finished the school year and we left.

i cried many tears standing in the corridor of those schools with my friends in my arms. i knew we'd be back to visit but it wouldn't be for a while.

we packed up the entire house and shipped everything over, sending lots of British snacks and other stuff with it.

mama packed a whole box of tea bags and Robinson's squash. there was chocolate fingers and digestives.

americans aren't know for there delicious food here in the uk.

pulling into the driveway of the new house after that plane ride left my stomach turning.

it was so much bigger than our london house, we had a massive garden and loads of property.

don't get me wrong the house in london was my favourite thing ever but it lacked a little in garden space and breathable air.

some of the stuff was already there, our beds and the clothes we took on the plane but most of it came afterwards.

mama and i spent the next few weeks unpacking and sorting out our things.

angelo came over shortly after we did, mama wanted him to come when we were all settled so he spent the time with this dad.

that first night in the house it seemed to empty.

none of my posters were up on the walls and i felt as if my room hadn't been lived in yet.

i lay in bed and looked up at the blank ceiling thinking about how weird i felt.

growing uncomfortable i got up and walked down the oak stairs towards the living room to find mama watching tv, it was an old re run of strictly come dancing.

the sofa faces away from the doorway so i was able to sneak up on her, jumping over the back and landing next to her.

"OH MY FUCKING JESUS!" she yelled, slapping my arm in reflex.

"owww!" i cried out after her acrylic nails dug into my arm.

"fucking hell y/n you scared the shit out of me" she held her hand over her heart trying to slow her breathing.

i curled into the side of her, digging my head into her shoulder and putting my legs under the green blanket.

she grabbed the remote, turning the volume down slightly.

"what you doing down here darling, i thought you were shattered?" she kissed the top of my head pulling me impossibly close to her.

"my room feels weird." i mumbled into her.

"hmm i get that. doesn't quite feel lived in yet." she said, her fingers running through my hair.

i looked up at her a little in shock, resting my chin on her shoulder "that's exactly what i was thinking!"

she chuckled slightly, kissed my nose and said "it's okay little one, it'll feel better in a few weeks. once angelo gets here and his toys are everywhere. we'll get your posters up tomorrow and make sure your room feels as homely as possible, it'll be just like London."

i hummed in happiness.

after sitting and watching the tv for a little while longer the adverts came on.

i looked back at mama, " sorry i was suck a dick about the move mama, i know how miserable you were back in London. i just don't like change all that much."

she put her phone down turning off candy crush to look at me. she pulled me away placing both hands firmly on my shoulders.

"y/n don't you dare feel a single ounce of guilt for not wanting to uproot everything you have ever known to move half away across the world in an instant for me. i understand your anger and i know it's not as simple for you as it is for angelo. you had your whole world in that city, my world is there too. it's difficult to leave that all behind, everything you felt that day and continue to feel is valid and i won't ever blame you for that,"

i only crashed into her, mumbling an 'i love you' in between little tears.

one of the things i love most about mama is that she always always always makes sure i know that my feelings are valid. that i don't need to feel bad or guilty for thinking or feeling a certain way.

she's so kind and considerate.

"i love you too baby."

spending the rest of the evening together we watched the rest of strictly and ate some chocolate fingers before heading up to my room.

mama said she'd sleep in my bed for as long as it takes me to feel like it's my room.

knowing how much i struggle sleeping in new environments she really helped me feel relaxed.

i just hope the rest of the move goes smoothly.

———❁———

1207 words.

proof read? don't be stupid ofc it's not <3

the fact that i can't even remember how i sign off stories just shows how long it's been 😭🥲.

heyyyyy. how's everyone doinggggg. erm. pls ignore the fact it has been two months. if anyone asks it's been a week.

i love you all. stay safe. stay sexy.

marley :)