goofy smiles | p!nk

———❁———

today was going to be good. i could feel it in my bones. i have a motorcross race later on and its the first one i've been allowed to race in for ages. mama always says that i have to be more careful after getting my concussion last year but wheres the fun in that. the closest i've got to being near motorcross is watching my dad race, it's boring as hell but it's always funny watching them hit each other. stupid men can't keep it together and have to go as fast as they can to try and preserve their over inflated egos.

of course my dad isn't like that. he's one of the best in the world so he knows better, can't say the same for those other knuckleheads though.

as soon as we pull up to the track i can tell it's going to be a good day. the idiots with their brand new gear look like they can't even turn a bike on let alone ride one. there's no way i could loose to them. especially not when my dads carey hart.

my siblings jump out of the car to explore while my dad starts to unload my bike. i however have been trapped inside the vehicle by my mama. i know exactly what she's going to say "don't be stupid out there. i can't watch you get hurt."

i know it comes from a place of love but i'm itching to get out there so i have very limited patience. i'm quick to kiss her on the head and express my love and gratitude before practically throwing myself out the car and looking at my bike.

my dad and i built it together last year. i even polished it ready to get it coated in mud. motor cross was the one thing dad and i could talk about for hours on end and not get bored.

it would drive mama insane and she'd always say stuff like "motor cross nerds" or "there's only so much motor cross you can talk about before it's engraved into your tongue" or sometimes she'd just result to fake snoring so we got the hint. even thought she loved the sport herself i can understand how her small brain couldn't comprehend the true beauty of the sport. maybe it's all that spinning around while singing.

i'm already mostly geared up i just need to finish putting my jersey and helmet on.but not before i say my prayer. i say my prayer first. it's a family tradition now. we do it before every one of mamas shows and every one of our races. it's to ask for protection and so no harm comes to any of the racers or by standers.

well physical harm. of course their egos will be torn to shreds after they eat my dust. but i don't want to hurt them. that was mamas big rule growing up. do no harm.

after we finish with our prayers i pull my jersey over my head, the word hart written on the back just above the number 5 (my favourite number). it's always been my jersey number no matter the sport.

finally putting on my helmet i take my bike up to the starting line. i look to the sidelines to find my family cheering me on. chuckling i shake my head and get into the zone.

when i'm racing its like an outer body experience. like something else takes over and i'm not in control, but not in the scary anxiety attack way, it's almost a comfort how familiar that feeling is.

hearing the count down that feeling completely takes over. before i know it i'm racing around the track miles ahead of everyone else.

the feeling of the dirt moving out from my tyres and the loud hum of the engine is blissful.

without even realising i'm over the finish line. minutes felt like simple seconds out on that track. i finish first place of course and im quick to leave my bike and run to my family in celebration .

welcomed by my dads open arms to give me a massive dear hug, mama gently pulls my helmet off my head, "you did so well kid, im so proud of you". i couldn't contain the smile i had on my face.

my dad exclaims loudly "there's that goofy smile i missed so much!". we all chuckled at his antics. he was always so loud but i never minded. he was a kind soul and always had a good word to say.

i spent the entire day racing around the tracks. winning every race i entered i couldn't have been more delighted.

even after the races were over my family and i spent the rest of the evening on our bikes seeing who could spray the most mud from the bottom of their tyres. dad won but i say that's down tk his tyres being bigger than anyone else's.

passing out from exhaustion in the back of the car as we headed home, i still had that same goofy smile upon my face.

today was a really good day.

———❁———

915 words.

this woman's music literally raised me. she's an icon and i'm surprised its taken me this long to write a one shot with her. comfort human <3

btw i know absolutely nothing about motor cross just that carey plays it so feel free to laugh at my lack of knowledge.

hope you enjoyed

marley :)