trouble sleeping? | larissa weems

———❁———

with a short sigh you picked up your skateboard and began to head back inside. the rain forcing you to face your fears and go back to the lonely halls of nevermore academy.

you had attended that school for nearly 4 months now and there were only three people in the entire school who knew your name. your two friends enid and her roomate wednesday, and your housemaster miss thornhill. the latter was the most annoying. you were known for missing your classes and often being found asleep or in the skatepark you had put together in the woods of the nevermore property.

after finding out that your were being sent away by your so called parents you could feel your heart rip in two. there were very few things you enjoyed in life and one of those was skateboarding. the hobby had given you a much needed escape from your house where you were constantly ignored by your family. how were you meant to skate in a school invented before the very board you rode on?

after reading your personal statement though, a certain red-headed teacher allowed you to create your own safe space. this is something you would always be grateful for. even if thornhill was ten inches up your arse all the time about using the park at 'inappropriate times'.

by this she meant at 2am when you were meant to be sleeping. at nevermore every student had a curfew of 10pm, and that meant in bed with the lights out too. but as a kid with adhd the amounts of energy you had were boundless. especially at night. if you had any hope of getting to bed at a reasonable time then you had to do what you had to do.

tonight was no exception. climbing into bed at 11 in hopes of actually getting to sleep. but after 20 minutes you could feel the energy coursing through your veins. with a huff you jumped up and put on joggers, an over-sized hoodie and your beat up old vans.  you put your headphones in to listen to taylor swift thinking about how lucky you were that your roomate dropped out a week after you got there, her being a massive snitch always ruined your plans of late night walks around campus.

opening the door slightly you peeked your head out to find the hallway deserted. doing a little dance of joy you grabbed the board propped up by the door and made a run for it. quietly of course, so much less of a run and more of a hurried tip-toe. cautious not to wake anyone you made it to the woods and ran to your diy park. it wasn't much, just a patch of concrete with some old ramps you bought from ebay, all covered by the canopy you spent weeks building. you loved it to bits though. sure it looked like someone handed a toddler a cement mixer but it was unlike any other park you had skated at. it was just yours, just far enough into the woods to be left undiscovered by most but just close enough where it was a quick 7 minute walk.

you had timed that walk alot, it was something you tended to do often. it brought a sense of peace nothing else could. after skating for a few hours you sat atop one of the ramps and simply admired the stars, small raindrops hitting your forehead. letting out a staggered yawn you decided to head back. it was 3am afterall.

deciding to switch up the vibe you let party favour play through your headphones. making your way through the forest you eventually reach the quad. you always wondered why it was called the quad, its shaped like a pentagon after all. while it was named incorrectly it was also the place you were caught most often. a lot of staff always seemed to be walking past just as you sneak through. this time however your luck seemed to change. ignorance is always a big mistake in situations like this.

punching your fist in the air in a celebration you tuned back to stick two fingers up at the quad in victory. what you could not see with your back turned was your principle stood behind you ready to interrogate you on you little adventure.