Misunderstood - Spencer Reid

I watched as YN sat on the couch across from me, her face buried in her hands. Her shoulders shook with the weight of her emotions, and I could tell she was trying hard to suppress her sobs. It was a difficult sight to witness, especially knowing that I was somehow involved in her distress.

JJ and Morgan exchanged concerned glances, their eyes flickering between YN and me. Hotch was quietly observing from his desk, his expression a mix of curiosity and concern. The team was like a second family to me, and I hated to see any of them upset.

I cleared my throat, breaking the tense silence that had settled in the room. "YN," I began cautiously, "is there something you'd like to talk about?"

She sniffled, lifting her head slightly to peer at me through tear-filled eyes. "I just... I can't believe you would think that way about me, Spencer."

My brows furrowed in confusion, and I exchanged another glance with Morgan, who seemed just as baffled. "I'm not sure I understand," I admitted, my mind racing to recall any recent interactions I'd had with YN that could have led to this.

YN took a shaky breath before lowering her hands, her gaze fixated on the floor. "I overheard you talking to Emily earlier. You were saying something about me... something hurtful."

Realization dawned on me, and I felt a pang of regret. I remembered the conversation she was referring to—a light-hearted exchange that Emily and I had shared, though clearly YN had misinterpreted it. I mentally replayed the words, trying to find the point where things had gone awry.

"YN, I'm so sorry if my words came across the wrong way," I said earnestly. "I would never intentionally say something hurtful about you."

She wiped at her tears with the back of her hand, her expression softening slightly. "Then why did it sound like you were making fun of me?"

I took a deep breath, choosing my words carefully. "YN, I wasn't making fun of you. Emily and I were just joking around about our unique quirks, including mine. It wasn't meant to be hurtful."

JJ chimed in, her voice gentle. "YN, Spencer's brain works in mysterious ways. He's open about his quirks, and he never means to hurt anyone with his words."

YN glanced up at me, her gaze searching. "Are you being honest, Spencer?"

I nodded firmly. "Absolutely. I value you as a friend and a colleague. I would never want to cause you any distress."

Morgan added with a reassuring grin, "You know, Reid's quirks are his way of making us all feel normal."

The tension in the room began to ease, and YN managed a small smile. "Okay, I guess I misunderstood."

I sighed in relief. "I'm glad we cleared that up. And I'm truly sorry for any misunderstanding."

YN's smile grew, and she nodded. "Thanks, Spencer."

As the team returned to their tasks, the atmosphere lightened considerably. I caught YN's eye and offered her a friendly smile. She smiled back, her tears now replaced by a genuine sense of relief.

Later, as the team gathered for a debriefing, Hotch spoke up. "Remember, our strength lies in our unity. Let's not let misunderstandings drive us apart."

YN gave me a grateful look, and I nodded in agreement. Our platonic bond was unbreakable, and I was grateful for the opportunity to have resolved the situation. She wasn't crying because of me anymore; instead, our understanding had helped mend any unintentional rift that had formed.