| 2.11 |

"One last game," Carda rasped as she helped secure a small harness across my chest and over the width of my back. It was part of this year's outfit for the arena - that is of course besides the thin white long sleeved shirt we were to wear and the sand colored cargos we had been given.

"Hopefully," I murmured as she tightened the straps and I let out a small hiss.

"I have a gift for you again this year," she ignored my comment and went to her wickwork basket and held up a small thin roll.

"What is that?" I smiled gently as she held it up with a mischevious look on her face.

"A little stylistic experiment of mine," she happily replied and waved the roll a bit back and forth, "you would not believe me if I told you what it was. When in need of protection, unwrap it," she reminded casually and zipped it into the tiny pocket that was in the front part of my harness.

"You continue to be a saviour, you know that, right?" I questioned and she nodded quietly as she just patted the pocket gently.

"You be careful in there, alright dear?" she whispered and I immediately nodded once I noticed how stern her eyes looked up at me, "I'll be waiting for you on the other side. A few more days and you'll see me again."

"What waits for when you get us out?"

Carda pursed her wrinkly lips, glancing me up and down as she took a step away from me. It was clear she didn't know how to answer properly, she could only reminisce of how things were over twenty years ago. Now she was simply on the opposing side of what she was on last time.

"A lot," she eventually replied, "a lot of changes, a lot of danger... hopefully a lot of hope."

Over the speakers a loud voice informed us we had a minute left before we had to step into the tubes that would elevate us up into the arena. Carda had glanced at the speaker before looking to me with a gentle smile.

"You have so many people on your side this time," she rasped in her usual Carda voice, "you will be safe in the arena."

"No new wise words?" I chuckled and leaned against the table in the room. Carda could only reply with a simple shake of her head.

"Jungwon is a lovely boy," she excused - casually turning the bangles around her wrists, hands shaking as her thin and bony fingers played with them, "but you don't deserve him," she nodded as her eyebrows furrowed and she looked up at me, "I've never seen a boy try as hard as he does, to no avail. Prove you deserve him up there, make everyone believe you two really deserve one another and not just one way around."

"I'm the only reason he's still alive," I reminded and Carda quickly nodded.

"Oh, you are, and we'll never cease to remind you. Neither will he. But no one in the Capitol or districts know exactly to what extent you saved him. Only we do. Few of us do. Former Victors and the ones that worked around you know how hard you fought for the two of you," she reminded sternly, "you made it look too easy, and now you pay for that with your life, once again. Don't give the president a reason to say she was right."

I frowned in confusion as Carda only nodded solemnly and gestured towards the acrylics tube. I sniffled quietly, nodding in silence before looking down at myself. Too many light colours. 

They knew this game was going to be brutal, and they've done everything in their power to emphasize that. With this light coloured clothes it would only be obvious whenever someone had been bleeding just a little bit from anywhere. It could a be a branch cut on your arm and it would look like a whole stab wound in such a shirt.

"They want to show the former victors as weak," Carda spoke up, as if she had read my mind about the clothes, "blood symbolizes weakness."

"Not at all... if anything it's always symbolized opposites," I murmured in return, "my favourite has always been the opposites of death and redemption," I snickered slightly and Carda smiled in return.

"Redemption to the people," she commented and I immediately nodded, "death to the regime."

"Now you're talking," I let out a small laugh.

"Contestants please step up onto your platforms."

I pursed my lips in dismay and nodded quietly as I walked over and stepped onto my small platform, only waiting for the acrylics tube to close.

"Good luck!" Carda called out as the door started to slide close. I grinned widely in return and just nodded.

Once the platform started lifting up Carda happily waved towards me and I sent her one last smile. However, my attention was quickly brought upwards as the gate up into the arena opened and I was hit by a heavy, humid heat. Pulling the air directly out of my lungs as it hit me.

One look upwards and I was blinded by a sharp light shining straight down into my eyes.