| 2.2 |

July 3rd

"Honey, the transmission is starting," mom called out as I pulled myself away from the bookshelves in the office. 

It was a room we rarely used, filled with books I was convinced we hadn't owned beforehand. It just seemed to have appeared and been given to me along with the house.

I sent the bookshelf one last glance before wandering out into the living room. Looking at the small screen where Augustus Truman flickered with his usual haunting and overly polite smile. My brother was already in the room, grinning widely as he scooted over and made space for me between mom and him. I simply couldn't help but smile at his action.

"Tonight, dear Panem, the President will reveal how this year's Quarter Quell will be held," Augustus happily declared, "but what exactly is a Quarter Quell? A lot of you out there don't know. So let me explain."

"A fine way to murder kids," I murmured to myself and subconsiously bit down on my thumb nail.

"At the founding of the Hunger Games it was decided that every 25th year an extraordinary game would be held, these would be called the Quater Quells. Now, we've had the very first Quarter Quell where each district had to hold an election where they voted for their chosen tribute."

"That's horrific," my brother gasped, "imagine being the one your district wants to go? They hate you the most of all kids between 12 and 18."

"Some places it might be just as big as a presedential election," I reminded quietly.

"For the second Quarter Quell we were lucky enough to have the games extended by a bit. In total 48 tributes participated. Two boys and two girls from each district. Then at the third Quarter Quell it was decided that all previous winners would be in the reaping bowl, creating a game of only the best of Panem's fighters. Now, what might it be this year?"

"That's it then, right?" mom murmured, "you won't be able to go back."

"I'll still be a mentor," I whispered quietly, almost sneering at her, "regardless I have to leave for some time."

"I'd rather you leave as a mentor and live a good life in the Capitol for a few weeks, than you being sent back into that slaughterhouse," my mom reminded me quietly as the image flickered away from Augustus and onto our president.

The president cleared her throat and adjusted the cue card pinched between her thumb and pointer finger on each hand. A small smile tugged at her lips. Enough to just get me nauseous.

"Good evening Panem," she always sounded so holy and self satisfied whenever she spoke, "tonight I will reveal to you the twists of this year's Quarter Quell for the 100th Annual Hunger Games. I can imagine you are just as excited as I am to figure out what game twist I've pulled out of the wooden box this year. So let me read it to you."

I had caught mysels stop breathing the moment the president spoke and had to remind myself to suck in deep breaths to calm myself down.

"For this year's Hunger Games we will merge previous ideas together, to show that through staying with what is familiar and strong we can only fund an even stronger bond with one another in this country. Therefore we seek to find two boys and two girls from each district, fit for the games, as a reminder that two rebels died for each Capitol citizen during the first and second uprising."

"That's four tributes," I murmured in realization of how much work it would be for me as my first year as a mentor.

"These four tributes will be reaped from a certain selection of people. One boy and one girl from each district is to be chosen from existing victors of the games as a reminder that even the strongest are under a secure and comfortable rule here in Panem."

Somewhere mom let out a small croak as my brother immediately questioned if it meant I would go back. My ears had started ringing and I was unable to answer them immediately.

"The other two tributes from the district will be chosen from the families of the reaped victors, as a reminder that our love for our country always will be bigger than the love for our own blood."

I quietly leaned forward and planted my elbows into the flesh of my thighs, hands over my mouth as everything dawned upon me. I would not only be going back into the games again, this time with 52 tributes, I would also be going in with a family member.

I had absolutely no choice than to go back and fight for my life once again. I was the only female victor from Thirteen, there wasn't ever even a choice.