Old Faces - 037

This has not been proof read, so if you see any mistakes feel free to yell at me. Also, I still have 15 minutes until tomorrow UK time so technically I'm not late xx

Brooks and Seb had been at Woodbury for five months. Brooks had been living with Will for five months. Once again, her hair was back up in its slick, neat bun. When she was with him, she'd have the attitude that was just snarky enough so that he'd smile, but just nice enough not to embarass him. Will had made something of himself in Woodbury, the people respected him. It was the first time in his life that anybody had respected him, and he intended to keep it. Of course, behind closed doors he still did unspeakable things to his daughter, but nobody knew. The metal stump made the beatings worse.

"Another doctor visit, Brooks?"
"Sorry, Dr Stevens. Fell, again."

"Brooks, your eye!"
"Walked into the fridge."

"Why's your daughter limping?"
"Slammed her toe into the door."
"Again?"

Woodbury was perfect. The food, somewhat the people, it was safe, pretty, had power. They hadn't lost any fighters since late November. Nobody wanted to see the abuse that Brooks faced because nobody wanted to believe that Woodbury was anything other than perfect. That would ruin their image, and nobody wants their fantasy bubble popped.

It wasn't all bad for Brooks. With her father being on the out-team, he was gone sometimes. Every other week for three or four days, but that was it. However, those three or four days were bliss for Brooks. Nobody noticed how much she smiled on those days, how she just enjoyed life so much more. Her attitude didn't change much though, she was finding it hard to be kind to people the way she used to be. Nobody cared enough to notice. Seb was her friend, sure, but he spent most of his time with Karen's son Nicholas. Nick, for short. He was nice enough, he was short and suffered with asthma, but what can you do? Mika and Lizzie were nice, but they spent most of their time together and Brooks didn't want to be their third wheel, but they all played together sometimes. She didn't have any other friends, so she was mostly alone, but she didn't mind. Brooks had even gotten new reading glasses since hers exploded, so you take your wins where you can get them.

Her dad was on one of his trips with his team on that early day in May. Out. She was sat watching Die Hard again with a bowl of popcorn on her lap. She was starting to mouth along to the words because she'd watched the film so many times. Her father refused to keep films like The Breakfast Club, or the Notebook in the apartment, so she was stuck. However, she liked some of the films her father kept so it wasn't a burden.

"But, you have me at a loss. You know my name but who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon? " Brooks spoke, mouthing along to the film she knew line by line.

Suddenly the door unlocked, Brooks jumped in slight shock as she watched her father walk through the door. He was home two days earlier than he should've been. He slammed the door behind him before letting out a long, angry yell. He turned to the wall and punched it with his metal stump. Brooks put the bowl of popcorn on the coffee table as she brought her legs up to his chest, staring at him in fear. She knew she'd be the next thing he took his anger out on.

He quickly turned to her, shouting. "They told me that bitch was dead! She's supposed to be dead! She got them to fuckin' lie to me! She lied to me! And I bet it's all your goddamn fault! It's all you black bitches, you're all the fuckin' same!" He shouted.

Brooks was very confused at this point. She had no idea who on earth he was talking about. "Dad, what happened?" Brooks asked, hesitantly. Her curiosity had gotten the better of her, but she'd knew it would cost her.