Nuisance - 004

"I'll go." Will volunteered. The sun was setting as most people around the camp were huddled around different camp fires. Around this particular camp fire was Glenn Rhee, T-dog, Ed Peletier, Carol Peletier, their children Sophia and Christopher, Jacqui Morgan, Pedro Morales, Miranda Morales and their children Eliza and Louis, Andrea Harrison and of course all four Dixons. The group were discussing a plan to go for a supply run into the city the next day. Usually, Glenn would tackle this task alone, however, the group voted that a small group of people should go. Glenn was outnumbered. 

Glenn shuffled in his seat. "Look, man, you've only been here a couple days-"

"Four days." Merle interrupted.

Glenn nodded. "Right. It's just, we don't know you that well. Going into the city? That's life or death. We need to make sure we can trust each other."

"You sayin' you don't trust me, boy?" Will raised his eyebrows. Brooks licked her lips, nervous for her father's reaction as she looked over to Glenn who wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand.

"I- I didn't say that." Glenn stuttered.

"He's saying y'all are strangers." Jacqui cut in. 

Daryl raised his eyebrows. "We're all strangers. You're all trustin' each other. What'd you take us for?"

T-dog nodded. "I say we let them come. Everyone wants to pull their weight. Let them."

"Thanks." Will nodded, lighting up a cigarette. "Not that I needed permission from someone like you."

"You have a black daughter." Morales stated.

Will inhaled the smoke before answering. "Shit happens."

Christopher snorted out a laugh. "Your dad doesn't want you."

"Christopher." Carol said, in a warning tone.

"No, don't tell the boy off." Will responded. "He's right."

Brooks pursed her lips together and looked into the fire. She didn't expect any other response, but it was a bit embarrassing being spoken to like that in public. Not that she knew anyone else very well. Sophia and Eliza had invited her to play with them everyday, but everyday, her father would make her just sit with her family. Her half brothers and father would sit about, fiddle with weapons, smoke, pick fights and drink. That's it. Brooks had to sit with them through all of it and she hated every second. Kids finally wanted to play with her, and she had to turn them down despite every bone in her body wanting to go with them.

"I'll come too." Merle said, interrupting the silence.

Daryl stopped trying to light his cigarette with a faulty lighter to speak. "I'm goin' huntin'. Someone gotta watch the kid."

"Fuck sake, Daryl." Merle rolled his eyes, cracking open a beer.

"Not my fault I'm the only one of us who can track a buck for miles." Daryl said, giving up on having his smoke.

"I'm sure I can keep an eye on her." Carol smiled.

Merle nodded. "There, Carol Brady can watch her."

"It's Peletier." Brooks corrected, quietly.

"You ain't ever seen the Brady Bunch, Bambi?" Merle asked, raising his eyebrows.

Brooks furrowed her eyebrows. "The who?"

"Doesn't matter." Will interrupted. "Merle, you're stayin' with your sister."

Merle would've shouted at anyone else trying to tell him what to do. However, deep down Merle was still that ten year old boy who was petrified of his father. So, he simply grunted and clenched his jaw before taking a swig of his beer.