XXVII

⚠️CW: Ab*se, Childhood tr*uma, p*nic *tt*ck, fl*shb*ck ⚠️

This morning, you didn't wake up as peaceful as the past one, instead you were forcefully dashed out your dreams by your horribly loud alarm. With a groan you're turned around and turned it off, unsure of whether you've accidentally hit the snooze button instead. However, as you rolled back, you suddenly realised the other half of the bed was empty and you alone. You looked around still half asleep, fully confused.
'Where is he?', you thought to yourself and wondered whether he's had any important meeting planned for this morning but nothing came to your mind.
After then laying around for five more minutes, you decided you should probably get dressed to not be late for your first day as Copia's assistant.
'How much time will we actually spend?', you started wondering with a dreamy smirk on your face since Copia and you could barely remain serious when being together, either one always has to crack a joke.

A knock on your door suddenly made you return to reality and you quickly hurried over and opened it.
"Morning", Copia mumbled preoccupied and hastily ran inside, carrying a tray with orange juice and a plate of toast, eggs and jam.
"Morning early bird", you chuckled as he hurried past you and quickly put the heavy looking tray down on your bedside table.
"Oh you're already out of bed", Copia remarked visibly disappointed and scratched his head before he just shrugged his shoulders.
"Never mind, it'll taste just as good out of bed"
"Now don't tell me you've woken up this sinfully early only to make me breakfast in bed", you told him with big eyes as you sneaked closer to him and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.
"I just thought there isn't anything more romantic than that, mi amore", he smiled tiredly and you gave him a tight hug which he immediately returned.
He held it unusually long but he was probably just glad to see you. However as he let out a rather saddened sigh, you began to worry a little.

"Are you alright?", you asked as you squeezed some eggs and toast into your mouth and watched his gaze darken.
"Yes, I'm alright, cara", he assured you, however you knew he wasn't honest with that.
"Copia", you began and grabbed his hand softly.
"It's me, you know you can always talk to me when something's up. So tell me what happened"
He looked at your hands and eventually gave in. It was him who was the one grabbing your hand now while an even longer sigh escaped his lips and he pinned his gaze to the floor.
"It really isn't much of a deal but.. I've overheard a few sisters call me names this morning and even though I should be used to it by now..", he paused for a moment and his pain hung in the air.
"..it just hurts.. like I don't even know what I ever did to them but they always look down on me, keep their distance and talk behind my back".
He started burying his face in his hands and you could hear lower sobs between his words.
"I'm nothing but a creep to them! A freak no one likes!" He cried out and your heart broke into a million pieces.
"I don't know what to do and I'm slowly growing desperate about it"

All of this suddenly hit you like a train, you remembered how Copia was being described to you on your first day here, as a strange dude nobody wants to deal with. Besides the fact you didn't care about any of that for one second, you hadn't realised until now how bad it all actually was and all you wanted to do right now was storm out that door and fold every single one of them until they'd all fit in a trash bin, which is where they belong.
"C, I'm so sorry about all of this, I had no idea how bad it was and I should've paid more attention to how everyone treated you".
You quickly wrapped your arms around him and pressed him tight against yourself.
"But honestly, fuck them. They're afraid because you're different but people who don't think like the norm make the world go round, right? When I first heard of you, you were described to me as 'strange' and someone everyone would 'stay away from' but I didn't mind any of that one bit"

His sniffles stopped and he looked up at you.
"Really? You heard of how people thought of me and didn't care?"
You shook your head and gave him a comforting smile.
"You're my Cardi and I've been thankful to know you since the first time we talked.
And even beforehand, I've known you were a fine piece of cake the first time I saw you at breakfast on my first day here. But my point is.. if only these people knew you like I do, they wouldn't treat you like this.. you're such a wonderful human being, it's just so awful..".
You sunk your head in disappointment about your fellow sisters and else, when you suddenly felt a warm hand by your cheek lifting your face for you to look at the smile of a slightly teary looking Copia.
"You've already done more than enough for me, cara mia. Thanks to you, at least the Ghouls seem to somewhat like me. And even if they didn't, as long as I have you, I'm always going to be alright. Thank you for always being here for me, for never leaving me when I'm at my lowest".
"I'm never going to leave you broken, Copia", you promised him and wiped a single tear from his pale cheek.