VI

After your day at the beach, the Ghouls did as promised and invited Copia to their movie night which he accepted with big eyes of surprise. Afterwards, they had to admit he was actually a really nice guy and immediately invited him to their next movie night. You were happy he finally got involved in a friend group since you two were getting along better by the day.
About a week after your arrival at the ministry, the two of you sat in the rat room where you fed the little ones.
"And this was the last bowl!", you declared and let yourself down between the cages.
"Thank you for your help once again, Y/n"
"No problem, it's my job after all and who wouldn't wanna spend time with these cuties?"
"Right, right..", he mumbled and suddenly looked up at you.
"Do you have anything planned for lunch?", he asked and you tilted your head for a second.
"Hm no, not yet"
"Would you like to go grab something? I know an amazing place nearby that makes great sandwiches".
"Sounds awesome", you respond in a heartbeat, this was a good chance to get to know him better. Besides, who would say no to sandwiches?
"It's not far and the weather's a dream so I suggest we walk there, what do you think?"
"I agree, fresh air and a walk never harm, right?"
He chuckled in agreement and lead you out the ministry, down a path besides the forest.
"Mind if we take a little longer route and go through the forest?", he pointed at a small path leading deeper inside and your eyes lit up.
"I'd love that! I've been wanting to go for a walk there ever since I arrived here!"
"Oh! So you fancy walks a lot, eh?", he asked with a little smirk and you nodded your head.
"It's the best way to get your head clear or have deep conversations with friends. Nothing bonds more than a long walk and food"
"Well since we'll be going for both today, we must be married by the end of the day", he laughed and you punched his side playfully.
"You should at least take me to dinner first", you laughed and giggled when he pinched your cheek.
"Hehe", he laughed and you couldn't but laugh as well. After a while it went quiet and you two listened to the birds chirping in the distance. You were almost startled when he suddenly cleared his throat.
"So..", he then began and slicked his hair back which you watched with big eyes. You were not prepared for him to look this handsome.
"I heard what you did for me the other day. I mean that you defended me when one of the Ghouls made a mean comment. I just wanted to say thank you, I really appreciate you standing up for me". He gave you a slight smile.
You had almost forgotten that incident and were surprised he found out.
"Oh you really don't need to thank me, Copia. I did what everyone would have done, I'm sure of that".
He shook his head.
"That's the thing, nobody's ever done that for me in a long time. I'm not the most popular member of the Clergy and I know how most people think of me"
"I'm sorry, they really shouldn't"
"I couldn't care less at this point, don't worry. I'm just the happier I've finally found someone who doesn't think like everyone else".
You would've given him a reply but as the path came to an end, he pointed at a small shop by the corner of a road.
"There it is!", he exclaimed happily but your mind still hung at his words.
As you two entered the shop, you were absolutely astonished. From the outside it had only seemed like a small shop held together by nails and wooden planks but the facade proved to be deceptive. The interior absolutely matched your taste, it was a modernised 80's design with a touch futuristic vision.
"This place looks amazing! I can't believe I've never been here"
"Well it's quite perfectly hidden since not many people know of it", he laughed.
You two had a seat by the huge window facing the woods, you had almost free choice since the place wasn't too busy this afternoon.
"Do you trust me?", he then asked with a little smirk and you lifted an eyebrow.
"Depends on what you're getting at", you replied in a teasing tone and he kept the smirk on. A waitress now came to take your orders and as you were about to tell her yours, he told her "we'll have two of the western Sandwich", and grinned proudly after she had left again.
"I guess you have no choice but to trust me now", he declared and you looked at him with big eyes, a little flustered.
Yet, you quickly tried shaking it off, you shouldn't get too flirty with your boss if you don't want to mess up.
"How do you like the view? I personally think it reminds me of these scenes in horror movies where the psychopath chases their victim through the forest and just as the victim thinks it found shelter in a hut, it turns out its the kidnappers home!", he gestured wildly and with big eyes, passionately describing the scenery and you laughed very hearty at this.
"You're quite the movie fan, aren't you?", you laugh and he suddenly pulls out sunglasses from his pocket. He puts them on and looks at you serious.
"I'm looking for John Connah", he speaks in a little accent, yet as American as he could and you couldn't hold back bursting out into laughter.
"I remember this one from the movie night!
Oh you did that one so well", you held onto the table as if you were afraid to fall underneath.
"Want another one?", he suggested with a sparkle in his eyes. You could see how much he wanted to and you definitely loved his parodies so you gave him an excited nod.
He turned around and slowly turned back to you with huge eyes, filled with horror.
"I see dead people", he whispered like he's been chased by one and you knew he was about to continue as suddenly the waitress returned to place your sandwiches in front of you.
With tears of laughter in your eyes you thanked the woman but lost it completely as Copia remained the face and whispered in the exact same voice "Thank you, I hope you're alive", sounding like an absolute lunatic.
The waitress gave him a really concerned look before she disappeared into the kitchen and both of you bursted out into loud laughter.
"Oh shit, help me!", he laughed.
"Have you seen the look on her face?"
By the way he once again broke into laughter, you could tell he did.
'This man is such a silly idiot. But the best idiot I've ever met', you thought to yourself as you lost yourself in the look on his face. The way he laughed just warmed your heart, the sound of his voice was a sound you could hear for the rest of your life and never grow tired of.
"But enough of that", he eventually said and moved his gaze to the sandwich standing in front of him.
"Let's have a bite of this beauty"
"I'm starving!", you then agree and grabbed your own.
A bite later your eyes shot open, you've never tasted anything like this! The harmony between sauce, salad, your favourite topping and bread was immaculate, your mouth felt like it has been reborn.
"Shit, this is the best sandwich I have ever had!"
"What did I tell you? Trust me and you'll never have to eat anything worse than that", he smiled proudly and took another bite.
"Well I can't take you with me on every meal I eat, right?", you laughed and he playfully let out a gasp.
"You don't want to have lunch with your favourite Cardinal every day for the rest of your life?"
You gave him a little kick under the table and he laughed so hard that he almost dropped his sandwich.
"You're so silly!", you finally laughed and his laughter stopped for a moment. With a faint smile he looked at you while you still tried calming down.
"What? Is there a bug in your sandwich?", you eventually asked a little confused by the sudden mood change.
"That's strange", he spoke a little surprised.
"I've never heard anybody say that to me like it was something positive"
You narrow your eyebrows.
"Well I love that silly side of yours", you spoke genuine and noticed him getting a little flustered.
"I mean it, I haven't laughed like this in.. I think in forever! You must've been surrounded by boring idiots if they all thought it was something negative"
A moment of silence followed before a smile would creep back on his face.
"Thank you", he said a little quiet but you heard it loud and clear.
"Not for that".
As a mother moment of silence followed, you were worried his mind would wander somewhere dark so you cleared your throat to get him back.
"Hey, can I have a bite of your sandwich?", you asked with an innocent smile and he raised an eyebrow.
"We've got exactly the same"
"Yeah but I feel like yours looks like it tastes better"
He looked down at his sandwich and shrugged his shoulders.
"Alright, here", he held it out for you and you leaned over to take a bite. What you didn't see however was how he watched you with big eyes, like he was watching the most precious being on earth.
"Yeah, yours is better", you declared satisfied after a moment and leaned back to get back to your own.
He looked at you confused and analysed his sandwich before he laid onto your plate. He then took yours from your hand and took a bite while he watched your face go puzzled.
"If you like mine more you should have it", he then said unbothered and felt his heart go warm as you took the sandwich happily.
Half an hour passed and you soon found yourselves in front of the building.
Of course he didn't let you pay, he was a true gentleman after all.
"Thank you so much for today, I can't believe I found a new favourite restaurant!"
He smiled content.
"No my dear, I should thank you. Finally, I have someone to share my humour and interested in food with"
And slowly, the two if you made their way back to the ministry.