( 34 : The Test Gates II )

"Thank you for that young lady. Now, Mike won't be overfed." The guard approached them with a small smile. 

"Mike?" The small girl asked. As much as she was close to Illumi, he had never mentioned of a Mike before. Was it a pet? 

"Mike is the watchdog and pet of the Zoldyck Family." 

'Ara, so he is indeed a pet. I WANT TO SEE HIM!' 

"Young lady I can see your thoughts clearly from your face. You want to see Mike don't you?" 

"Yes!--"

"However, I'm afraid I would not allow that. Thanks to you knocking out those thugs you didn't have to see Mike eat them." 

Gon, Kurapika, and Leorio's eyes widen from the guard's words. 

'EAT?!' 

"It only obeys the family, and will attack anyone else. The  beast still follows the order its master gave it 10 years ago... "

" Order?" 

"To kill every single intruder." 

The guard's aura seemed to lighten up once more as he continued his words in a more joyful manner. 

"Technically, he is not following the order, since he keeps eating them!" He says followed by  a laugh very uncharacteristic of him. And so, with a smile ever present on his face, he tells Y/N that he cannot let her inside. 

"You're a good girl, young one, I wouldn't want you getting eaten by Mike! And he'd be overfed again, haiya..." 

He picks up his cup of tea and looks up with his eyes so think they look like they are closed. "I cannot let Master Killua's friends become skeletons." 

But Kurapika speaks up as he finally voices out what he had been curious about for some time now. "But how are you safe? You go inside correct? If you never needed to enter you wouldn't need a key either."

His slit like eyes finally open as the guard gazed at Kurapika with proudness at how the young man could notice such a fine detail so early on their conversation.