19 - Duties

= Khaius =

Heart racing, Khaius's grip was tight on the wheel as he drove through a deserted alley and followed the flame line into the warehouse district.

Cidney had gone hunting alone!

His chest grew tight at the thought of him dead.

Fucking Pairing!

He didn't even know what the hell happened in his apartment.

He just remember thinking about what would happen to him if the Council of Elders ever found out about him allowing conversion.

Execution.

There was no other option.

And I lost it. I fucking lost it.

The next thing he knew, the others were arguing with him and Kraten was checking on Cidney.

He was gone.

He waited only long enough for Kraten's call then he was out the door and in his car faster than the others could keep up. They were back there, somewhere behind him in the SUV.

Fear ate at his gut as he pressed down on the accelerator.

He needed Cidney to listen, to follow the rules.

Otherwise, I wasn't going to be able to get a handle on this and might end up killing the Council of Elders if they ever execute Cidney.

It didn't help that he didn't know what Cidney's abilities were.

The boy always sounded confident, but was that arrogance or experience?

Something told him he was about to find out.

Khaius sped through the warehouse district.

There! At the end of the lane, the trail stopped.

The flame flickered out.

His heart dropped.

Either the demon was dead or Cidney was.

He sped up. Terror clawed at him, making him shake.

It was only a minute before he screeched to a stop in front of the warehouse, then he was out and running through the door.

An office; Cidney wasn't there.

Panic took over as he kept running further into the warehouse. He came out from between the large crates and slowed.

The demon was across the main warehouse, dead, but that didn't matter.

Cidney was on his knees, out of breath. He looked up and met his eyes. Those beautiful violet eyes.

Khaius didn't think. He started striding towards him.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" he shouted. "You could have been killed!"

He dropped to his knees in front of him.

Damn. Even in this position, he was still smaller than me.

He grabbed Cidney's chin and immediately began examining him. His face was fine. A burn on one arm, legs fine. Blood, there was blood on his throat but it wasn't flowing.

"My job!" Cidney shot back. "I'm fine." He tried to pry his hand off his chin.

Cidney's eyes met his, fire burning in them.

More than half crazy, he leaned down, his own lips crushed his.

Cherry blossoms filled his senses, he didn't wait for an invitation. He dove in and took Cidney's mouth, claiming him roughly, leaving nothing to doubt.