14 - A Gargoyle's Night Out

Two hours later...

They were sitting in the back corner of the best Scottish pub in the city.

Cidney was full and laughing when Aveo signaled their waitress for another round of scotch.

Aveo continued his story.

"So, there was my baby brother, Branch, in the courtyard of the farm," Aveo said, "naked as the day he was born. His Pair, Xyrene, was dressing as fast as she could in the barn. And my father was questioning Branch to within an inch of his life."

"What did he say?" he asked.

Aveo chuckled. "That training naked with a practice blade was a new training method he heard about," he said.

They both chuckled.

"My mother was listening to this, sighed, then headed straight for the barn."

"Branch must have stunk as a liar," he said before taking his last sip of scotch.

Aveo shook his head, his eyes shining. "No, our mother was just that smart," he admitted.

He grinned at him.

"So, what did you do? You helped him out, right?" he asked, the curiosity almost killing him.

Aveo nodded, his eyes on the table, his cheeks turning pinker. "Aye, I did," he groaned. "I dropped my kilt, pulled off my tunic, grabbed our practice blades and walked out into the courtyard bellowing at Branch for being late for training."

He was howling with laughter, the image Aveo painted was just.... By the time he had control of himself, their drinks had arrived. Aveo took a deep drink as his face turned crimson.

"D-d-did your mother figure it out?" he asked as he was trying to get his breath back.

"I think she knew that day. Branch and Xyrene were Mated not three days later," Aveo told him.

Aveo was smiling when Cidney finally got his breath back.

"Oh, that was good one," he said as he wiped tears from his eyes.

"Your turn, lad," Aveo said as he smirked down at Cidney.

He finished taking a drink. "My turn?"

"Aye, what's one of your crazy stories." Aveo's gaze ran over his face before meeting his eyes again. "Ye have to have some."

He sighed. "Most of mine include hunting demons and killing rogue vamps or shapeshifters," he admitted, feeling completely relaxed and at ease for the first time in weeks. "I didn't have any brothers or sisters to go on crazy adventures with."

"Oh, don't try to play innocent with me," Aveo chided. "Come on."

He grumbled but gave in. "You know that whole Jersey Devil myth that started in the early nineteen hundreds?" he asked, biting back his smile as he turned his tumbler on the table.

Aveo's grin grew bigger. "Aye."

He raised his hand sheepishly. Aveo burst out laughing as he dropped his hand.

"That was you? How'd ye manage that?" Aveo asked, still smiling.

"I was really bored," he admitted emphatically. "And I wanted to have some fun. I didn't think it would turn into a myth and would keep going like it has though."

"That can't be the only one," Aveo prompted, grinning down at him.

He leaned back in the booth and looked up at the ceiling.

"I might have a few more," he admitted. He looked up at Aveo, his head still on the back of the booth. "My mom would have killed me. My parents never really got my sense of humor."