Avenger/Ruler

Phantom Avenger

Once upon a time there a was a Learned Man. A writer who wanted to write about the good, true and beauty of the world.

One summer he went on a vacation to a nameless town. It was unbearably hot in the day but cool at night. Across from where he resided was a mysterious apartment. One night while on his porch saw his shadow within the balcony of the apartment. Jokingly, he told his shadow to slip inside and look around.

But the shadow listened. And it went inside the building. Never to be seen. Oddly, the Learned Man didn't think much about it and eventually returned from his vacation to write about the good. The true. The beautiful. But it was never good enough. It wasn't even good at all. It took a toll. He was failing.

And then one day, the Learned Man reunited with his shadow, now a wealthy man who used this to his advantage and used the Learned Man to make him into his own shadow. And when the Man finally stood up for himself, the Shadow betrayed him. Called him mad and sent him jail. The Shadow's wife took pity on the Learned Man and sentenced him to death.

While his shadow married the love of his life, the Learned Man was executed for crimes he didn't commit. There was nothing but anger within the Learned Man when he died. He died while his shadow lived.

Forever was the Learned Man drifting within the shadows of the world. Almost alive, almost aware but not quite. Kept together only by the people who knew his tale.

And then the Learned Man gained a physical form. Sentience, a mind, a body. And a Class. It was only natural someone as full of hate and anger would became Phantom Avenger.

He was a deathly pale man with ragged, old clothes and broken glasses. There was nothing remarkable about Phantom Avenger by the looks of it. And neither was his Master. A woman with long, silky, dirty blonde hair and eyes as green as a lush forest. She wore a black and white prison uniform.

The woman was on the floor, her left arm resting on her left knee while being held up by her right arm. She kept her eyes locked on Phantom Avenger. Next to the girl was some book fading away into golden dust before vanishing into thin air.

Phantom Avenger looked around the room. A claustrophobic space with nothing but a toilet, a sink and some piece of metal attached to the wall that was suppose to be called a bed. Solitary confinement from the looks of it. Or perhaps prisons were more cruel than he remembered.

"I am your Master, Servant." the girl said "you can call me CJ."

"You call me to this place. To this prison." the Grand Avenger said as he slipped and faded into the darkness. "a rather impressive feat, being able to summon a Servant with no catalyst. Beyond impressive in fact."

"You don't scare me, Servant." CJ said to Phantom Avenger, looking around the room for any sign of him "I know all about your kind. The Heroic Spirits and the Grail."

"But you should be afraid. I could kill you here and now." Phantom Avenger said. CJ looked up and saw Phantom Avenger's twisted cartoonish grin and glaring white eyes. But it did nothing to phase CJ. She just stood up, walked to her bed and sat down.

"Normally humans are scared of the dark." Phantom said.

"Children are scared of the dark, Servant." CJ growled.

"Aren't you what? Fifteen? Sixteen?" Phantom Avenger cackled at his jab at this girl. "maybe you need your mommy and daddy."

"What is your True Name and class? I demand it as your new Master. Or should I use a Command Seal?" She raised her hand.