PART II / Chapter Two

Naya came closer, leaving barely any distance between us. She gave Alissa a wicked look, and then turned to look at me. "He used to smoke shitty cigarettes," She said, looking at the floor and smirking.

"He used to sit three seats ahead and always had his sleeves rolled up because he thought it made him cool. But we all knew he was just covering up the pain by trying to look like the tough boy in class." She giggled, and then she locked eyes with me.

Alissa stepped back and let Naya talk freely to me, Ash and Sara were still standing there like mannequins not leaving their place. "If anything Ezie I wonder If you ever knew Jeremiah," She smiled, "I wonder if you are so irritated by me because deep down you are just pissed off that I actually remember who he was."

The rage starts filling up inside me again, but she cuts me off before I can start speaking, "You forgot all about your past at that hospital where Kyle took care of you," Her words caught me off guard, I never shared this with anyone, I think to myself.

But she doesn't stop there, "I bet you forgot how he looks like," Naya laughs her bitchy laugh, "I might have been young, but I know things about you that your brother has never shared."

"Like what?" I ask immediately, "Have you ever thought about why Abraham hit your mom Ezekiel?" She said, her eyes looking deeper into mine, "Did you genuinely believe it was because of some stupid characters in books?"

I look around and find no-one there. The room was empty, but they were all standing there. The room wasn't empty, but I could no longer feel the presence of anyone but Naya and I.

"You called him Abraham," I say, "Only Jeremiah and I called him that."

Naya giggled and let out a deep breath, "Let me guess, a girl at school told him a father figure shouldn't be like that, so let's call him by his name?" I find myself back in my childhood, hearing Jeremiah call our father by his name for the first time.

I remember asking him why he did, and I remember his reply very clearly, "It was you?" The words force themselves out of my mouth, "But why?" I cry out. "Why would he do all that he did?"

Naya looks around at everyone and starts laughing furiously, "You guys said you read the journal, how haven't you noticed?"

"What's in the journal?" But she doesn't reply, I turn to look at Sara, who was staring at the floor, "What's in the fucking journal Sara!" I ask again. Alissa rushes in to get the journal and starts pacing through it.

She froze at a page and turned the journal towards me, "A page is missing." Alissa says, handing me the journal, "Where is the last page Sara?" I'm growing more impatient by the second, "Where is DECEMBER 24TH huh?"

"She doesn't want you to see it," Naya says, her eyes at Sara now, "She can't let you see it beca-"

"That's enough Naya!" Ash yells and drags her to him.

Naya pulls herself away from Ash, "But he has to-"

"Enough I said!" He yells again, "Don't you see that Jeremiah is causing more trouble than before and we still haven't found him?"

I find myself pacing towards Ash and holding him by the collar, "What's in the journal Ash?" I ask, but he punches me in the face and drops me to the ground. I try to get up but he pulls a gun and aims it at me, "Are you deaf?" He asks, "I said enough."

I hear Alissa screaming in the back, but I stay frozen on the ground, "Ash put the gun down!" Alissa's voice fades from the background, "It will be put down when you guys come back to your senses and remember what we're here for," He says, not taking the gun off my head, "You know? The fucking letters?"