Chapter Eighteen: The Day It All Started

18  Years Ago...

"I can't handle your bullshit anymore," I said to Jeremiah, I was furious with him because he came back home with no gift in his hand, completely forgetting that it is my birthday today, "You forget every year." I cried.

"I didn't forget your birthday Ez," He smiles, "I just didn't want to tell you that we are going to your favorite place."

My eyes widened up, "Are we going to the bookstore?" I say. "No," He sighs, "And change your favorite place Ez, it's embarrassing." He laughs.

I hit him on the arm with my Superman figure that my mom got for me when she got best author of the year, "Then where are you taking me?" I frown.

"I'm taking you to a drive-thru cinema," He winks at me, "Pack your school bag because we're staying the night there."

Jeremiah left the room to get the car ready and I started packing, but the loud thud that I heard from downstairs startled me. I ran downstairs to see what was going on, and as usual my dad had grabbed my mom from her hair and was beating the crap out of her.

"Who the fuck is he?" Abraham shouted, Abraham being my father, who lost the term father years ago. "What did I tell you about writing about other men?" He added before hitting her again.

I could see my mom scream for help, but there was nothing I could do. I was nothing but a 5 year old with a Superman toy for a weapon. But my brother had another plan in mind. Jeremiah grabbed Abraham from behind and bashed his head into the wall. Allowing mom to escape the grasp of the drunken man.

After that Jeremiah and I finished packing and ran away, taking my mother to her sister's house on the way. "What was that?" I asked Jeremiah as I held on tighter to my toy. It was the only thing that brought me comfort in this life, and writing, but being 5 years old my writing skills weren't really considered skills.

Jeremiah giggles, "Same old love story," He says as he looks at mom, "Isn't that right Josephine?"

My mother looked at him angrily, "How dare you call me by my real name," She said furiously, "I am your mother!" She yells.

Mom was always the calm one in the family, she never really started arguments. It was just her luck that got her wound up with that inebriated man. Basically my mother met my father when she was really young, and as a writer she always wanted this perfect love story.

Although she got the opposite of it, you know how the story goes. Two people fall in love in college. One is the genius, and the other one is the bad boy, and so on. "What do you suggest I call you?" Jeremiah argues back, "Mom?" He smirks.

Josephine slapped him across his face, erasing that smirk off of his face, "That is exactly what you call me," She said, "Now drive and stop arguing."

It took us fifteen minutes to get to Vanessa's house. She had an enormous mansion just out of town, but it was beautiful. Vanessa isn't my mother's sister by blood, but they have known each other ever since childhood, funny enough it was Vanessa's idea that they marry two best friends.

Abraham and Vanessa's husband were best friends before college, and they stayed friends during it. He was dating mom and Johnathan was with Vanessa, and thankfully one day they all got drunk at a party and the lovely Vanessa thought it was genius for all of them to get married that night.

Leaving Jeremiah and I cleaning up her messes, "Hello!" Vanessa greeted us at the door, "What took you so long?" She asked in her annoying tone.

"Traffic," Jeremiah answered with no emotion, "Goodbye." He added before he drove off, completely ignoring them both.