Chapter Fourteen

"What did you just say?" I ask furiously, hoping that what I heard was nothing but a joke, a lie. Because this only gets me worried that Ash may be right. That Alissa is not who she says she is, "My father killed yours?" I giggle in disbelief.

Alissa nods her head in assurance, "Yes," She says, "Or at least I think so."

"You can't be half-sure in these types of situations Alissa!" I yell as I grow less patient by the second, "Are you sure it was my father?" I ask again.

Alissa's voice starts trembling and cracking in loss, "I don't know," She cries, "I mean it's not like there were many people who had the same story as yours. How many drug dealers do you think died in a fire in Manchester?" She asks. "Oh, and the children were the cause." She adds.

I get up and walk back and forth with my hands on my forehead, "How long have you known?" I ask, "Why haven't you told me before?" I added before she could reply to either question. I worry more by the second about what Ash said. It's annoying and irritating how much this one guy knows about her, and it's slowly starting to affect our relationship.

"I knew when you told me the story about your father," She says, "But I wasn't entirely sure until we saw the journal and you told me that he was a drug dealer."

"That was weeks ago," I freeze in my place, unable to move. "Fucking weeks ago."

"I know Ezie I-" She says, but I interrupted her before she could continue. My head was boiling and my nerves were filled with anger and disappointment. I slam the table hard and crack it in half. I try to speak but my tongue is twisted and words aren't coming out, and when I finally feel like I can speak, Sara slaps me in the face.

"Chill the fuck out," She says as she put her finger infront of my eye, gesturing that we should go over the routine that we do when I lose my temper. "Count to ten with me." She says, but I completely ignore her, "Count to ten or get slapped ten times, you choose."

I start counting to ten with Sara, taking deep breaths in and out as I do so, until I finally cool off and get my mind together. I look over to see a terrified Alissa who just witnessed a version of me I never wished for her to see, but I can't do anything about it other than face the consequences that I just laid upon myself.

"I'm sorry," I say as I try to approach her, but she hugs her knees and tells me to go away, "You actually thought I'm what," She giggles, "Spying on you?"

"I just thought-" I explained, "I just thought you were trying to get revenge."

Alissa laughs, "You're so stuck in your head you never thought about how I felt," She said, but I didn't quite get it at first. "I'm in love with the son of the man who killed my father, and the guilt kills me every single day." She yells.

"I'm sorry-" I try, but she interrupts, "For years I wanted to find a simple relationship, something that isn't complicated, something that doesn't hurt. Until you tagged along and swept me off my feet and now you think I'm trying to murder you too," She lets out a deep breath, "God, and to think you and him were not so different."

The last part sticks to me, "Me and who?" I ask, but she ignores me, "Me and who, Alissa?"

"You and Ash," She says from the kitchen, "When he found out about my father he also started questioning me all the time. He even kept-" But she paused and sat down, staring at the floor while she held her water still. "He was looking for him." She adds and turns her gaze to me.

I look at her, baffled and confused, "What?" I ask, "Why would he be looking for your dead father?"

"Same reason you're looking for your dead brother," She says, "What if they're not dead?"