Chapter 18 || Faded into oblivion

Changing beams of light radiated from the bottom, filling the surrounding area with harsh reds and blues. I knocked roughly on the wooden door, only for the noise to be undermined by the ear-splitting music roaring out of the room. I knocked once more, the hard surface sending jolting pain through my knuckles.

I pivoted on my heels as a gust of wind swept behind me. A darkened figure with far familiar glowing eyes left me taken aback. My body developed a mind of its own as it sent me jolting backwards.

Her arm gently wrapped around my waist, pulling me into her. My back gently hit the surface, her arm protecting it from the painful impact. As our bodies pressed together, her magnetic essence left me spellbound. I couldn't tear my gaze away from those crimson eyes. The feel of her rhythmic breath cooly hitting my nose kept me on my toes, reminding me of our closeness.

Her grip held me close. It was strong yet gentle. I began to lose myself in the moment. It was as if the outside world had faded into oblivion. Like a void meant for just the two of us. A comforting silence with nothing more than the cacophony of her rising and falling chest.

Just then, the weight of our bodies thrust us backwards. The next few moments left me dizzy as I processed the array of changing colours that now surrounded me. The lights dimly lit the room yet created a similar setting as in parties or concerts. Although, the music seemed to have quieted.

"What are you guys doing?!" Eva exclaimed as the two of us jolted backwards into her room. I looked behind me toward the now ajar door with Eva standing to its right, confusion evident on her face. Jaycee stood next to me, her gaze fixed on the floor and her eyes following their usual shade.

"I was um," I began, distorted by the situation that I had found myself in, "I was going to ask about school tomorrow."

"Oh, why didn't you just knock?" she questioned, her expression making it obvious she had no clue of the past ten minutes I spent doing the very thing she questioned of me. "Well anyway, what about it?"

I stared at her blankly. The seconds stretched on till I finally decided to let the comment go.

"I don't know the way," I answered.

"Yeah, I'll drop off you don't worry about that! You'll just walk home right?" she finished.

"I can pick you up," Jaycee cut in, her gaze finally meeting mine.

"You don't have to. I walk home every day," Despite the anxiousness her offer had sent flushing through my nerves, it was peculiar of her to offer. She barely knew me and yet she wanted to help me.

"I want to," my eyes widened as I listened to her words. The unexpected words left me with feelings of surprise and nervousness. Her response had come sooner than I'd expected. It was as if she already knew what I was going to ask. My jaw hung low as my eyes bore into hers, unsure of how to reply. "I follow that route anyway," she added, this time her voice was lighter, barely audible.

"Okay well, I'm going to sleep," Eva interrupted before swiftly moving toward the bed.

".. with the lights?" I asked as she sat herself down.

"Don't ask," Jaycee commented, leaving me curious about what other things she might have seen with Eva to not question it.

With a mutual nod, I walked toward the exit, fully aware of Jaycee's presence right behind me. Stepping outside, I waited patiently as she closed the door. With the click of the door, the realisation finally came to me.

"I don't have any clothes for tomorrow," I stood grateful for the early revelation that had saved me from the trouble I would have otherwise had to face when the time finally arrived. Although, my voice once more came out lighter than I'd wanted. The fact that she could still hear me allowed me to breathe in relief.

"Don't worry about it," her voice matched the volume of my own. For a moment I wondered what it would take for my abilities to act up. Although I apparently had greater control over my alleged powers, I had yet to learn how to use them willingly. "Good night Lizzy," she added.

"Good night," the conversation came to an end yet we stayed frozen in our places. A silent conversation went on between our eyes. A conversation that even I wasn't aware of yet I wanted to stay just a little longer, looking into those beautiful eyes of hers. Even if I could barely see them.

At last, she tore herself away and we parted ways. Entering my room, taking just a few minutes, I packed up my things and settled myself in the sheets. As I lay there, my mind entertained the thought of what her plans were. Perhaps one of them would lend me their clothes. Something that I definitely wasn't certain of and yet I allowed it to haunt my mind.  

The next morning arrived quickly. I didn't know at what point I fell asleep but now I sat at my desk, staring blankly toward the board. My shoulders hung low as I relaxed back in my seat. My eyelids strove to shut close no matter how hard a fight I put up. The effects of staying up late the past few days had finally begun to catch up to me. Although the free class that I currently sat in allowed me to doze off, it was only a few minutes till the day finally came to an end.

My blue jeans jacket matched with a plain white shirt underneath and comfortable white trousers were my outfit for the day. As well as a reminder of Jaycee's words. I didn't know how or when she had accessed my closet to bring my clothes but I appreciated what she had done for me.

The similar deafening bell now came as a rude interruption to the comforting tapes that replayed again and again in my mind. The routine procedure led me outside the gates, into the freezing afternoon. As I stood looking around, my eyes traced over the familiar stranger leaning comfortably against her car.