Chapter 13 || Delicate grasp

My mind blanked out. I blinked. My body was calm as ever. My eyes bore blankly into Eva's. She stared back at me, her eyes filled with confusion and worry.

"Lizzy? Are you okay?" she questioned, breaking me out of the haze that filled my mind.

"Yeah," I replied, unaware of the situation I'd found myself in. I exchanged glances between Jaycee and Eva as I tried to grasp the scene around me.

"How about we take a break?" She suggested, carrying a note of compulsion in her voice.

I responded with a subtle nod.

"We go to this place when we need a break, it's practically a second home," She continued.

The next thing I knew, I was settled in the back seat of their objectively familiar car. The scenery outside painted a scene of steady repetitive houses with a car occasionally passing by. Eventually, my mind absorbed me into a labyrinth of questions. There was still so much left unspoken. So many questions left unanswered.

The car came to a steady halt as Jaycee expertly manoeuvered us alongside rows of white lines. The clicking sound of the doors opening brought my attention back to me. I stepped out, hustling to follow in their footsteps. To my surprise, Eva had already slipped away, vanishing behind the vehicle. A sense of unease prickled at my skin as I struggled to keep her within sight.

Then a sudden jolt of surprise left me taken aback as I let out an inaudible gasp. My eyes interlocked with Jaycee. She stood leaning against the trunk of her car, keys gracefully dancing in her hand. A moment of connection passed between us. I deliberately glanced toward her lips which had begun to curl into a tender smile. 

I seemed to have been doing that a lot and we both knew it. Yet I hadn't managed to pry any reaction out of her. Unlike the uncontrolled rushing of thoughts in my mind every time I saw her. I had no idea who this woman was but that certainly wasn't because of a lack of want.

I followed shortly behind her as I took in my surroundings. Neon strips glowed through the rough mist, creating a smooth yellow glow. The words 'Roxy' created a faint reflection on the windowed glass close underneath. Warm oak wood hugged the edges of the glass frame door. Lengthy glass walls stood on each side of the frame, reflecting the bustling streets of NYC.

Jaycee gripped the long steel handles. Pushing forward with ease, she held the door open and backed away, she left enough room for me to walk through. I doubted I'd ever be able to open one of those heavy doors that easily. She made it seem like it was made of feathers.

For a moment I wondered if I'd be able to enter. I never imagined I'd be insecure about stepping through doors. Where had my life gotten me? 

"Thank you," I murmured, taking a chance on the little pride I had. I let out a sigh when I stepped through without any leech-like invisible forces killing my brain. I walked a little further into the establishment before taking in my surroundings. Inside, the ambience was a blend of cosy and lively. The low-hanging lights blended in smoothly with the brown and red walls, creating an ethereal atmosphere.

Rows of cushion seats followed by octagon tables filled most of the ground. Large curved sofas framed the edges. People engaged in conversations occupied the seats, their laughter creating a harmonious melody. While the opposite wall held a glass frame with various bottles lined across the shelves. Servers stood ahead of them, shielded off by a singular counter stretching from one side to the other. A couple of empty bar seats held high, lined the front.

Jaycee walked beside me, I could feel her warmth even from the distance between us. As we approached the counter, the girl that had previously disappeared on me came into view. Eva stood resting her arms on the surface, engaged in a chattery conversation with a young boy on the other side. We stopped inches beside her.

Just as Jaycee was about to interrupt them, Eva's hand shot up, halting our approach. Jaycee and I exchanged glances, a moment of curiosity passing between us. Before we could do anything, the abrupt sound of their hands meeting in a high-five drew attention back toward her and the boy. We watched as the two exchanged a few more words, completely unaware of our presence, their laughter and easy rapport filling the space between them.

With a silent nod of agreement, we stood shoulder by shoulder supported by the surface behind us. I observed the vibrant atmosphere around me. My eyes traced over the seats, in an attempt to adjust to the new location. Until as if pulled by a thread, my eyes drew to a strikingly beautiful stranger seated amongst two others. She had already been staring at me, confidence flushing through her skin.

My heart quickened, and a shiver of nervousness ran down my spine. I tore my gaze away, taken aback by her gaze. I looked down, observing the carpet tucked cleanly underneath the seatings. As the seconds stretched on, my mind became a vessel for the most senseless thoughts, originating from the woman and progressing to the heavenly woman next to me.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still struggling to push the air out of my lungs with her proximity. I decided to take another chance on my pride considering the success of the last one, I glanced toward Jaycee. Her sight seemed to be fixed on the entrance door though she appeared to be zoned out. I took that to my advantage, taking my time to observe her face.

Some might call that staring but it was what it was. By now I was almost grateful Eva's conversation seemed to be neverending.

The sudden turn of her head made me lightly jolt back. I screamed curses in my mind as I stared down, feeling the heat rising in my cheeks. "Want something to drink?" she questioned a small smile taking over her lips. Shit. 

"I'm not old enough," my voice hitched and I began to fidget with my fingers. I could still feel her gaze stuck on me. I seriously needed to learn how to cover up better.

The realisation that Eva spoke of a nightclub as her second home had just hit me.

"That's fine, they have plenty of non-alcoholic options," she replied, her tone carrying obvious amusement. Amusement caused by my embarrassment.

I tried to gather my thoughts as I turned my head to the side, pretending to be engrossed in viewing my options. My heart, however, had a mind of its own. My mind raced as I found myself unable to give a simple answer. Feeling a sense of embarrassment, the panic threatened to consume me. My breaths came out shallower, more rapid, as I tried to quell the rising panic, only to no avail.

The bright lights that illuminated the bar gradually intensified, shooting through my eyes like daggers. The noise of the chatter around me amplified. The once gentle hum now cacophony reverberated in my ears. My skin prickled with cold sweat as a wave of dizziness passed over me. It defeated me to the point that my hands instinctively rose up in a desperate attempt to block it all out.

Only to be held back by her delicate grasp. Her fingers smoothly brushed past mine, interlocking our hands together. She became my focal point. Something to hold onto amidst the chaotic surge that rushed through my body. I looked up, meeting her gaze. Her eyes were like a soothing balm, applied gently over every scar, caressing me, and engulfing me in our little world. I didn't know what was worse.

"How about a lemonade?" she questioned, her voice gently above a whisper.