My knees go weak, and I grab Asher's arms for support. He looks genuinely concerned as he pulls me closer to him, but I subtly shake my head, silently asking him not to push for more details.

"Father," I finally manage to say, my voice trembling, "we can discuss this later. In private, please."

His smile widens, sending a chill down my spine. "Oh, we will, Emma. We most certainly will."

As my father walks away, a heavy silence falls between Asher and me. While he might not grasp the full extent of the secrets and deals tethering me to my family, he obviously senses that there's more to the story than I'm willing to share.

Swallowing my pride, I keep my eyes on my father's retreating figure. This isn't over. Whether I like it or not, I know I'll have to find a way to settle my debt with him.

"Asher," I whisper, my voice shaky with the need to get away from here; to distance myself from my father. "Is it okay if we leave now, please?"

Without missing a beat, he nods and I lean on him for support as we make our exit.

Soon, the gala fades into the distance, but my father's words continue to weigh on me.

*****

Once we arrive at my place, Asher helps me inside, his hand gently gripping mine. He knows I'm shaken by my father's unexpected appearance, and I can see a million questions in his eyes. But as I head toward my room, relief washes over me when he stays quiet.

"I'm sorry we had to leave so soon," I murmur.

"Is there something I can do?" he says from the threshold of my room.

"I just..." My voice catches in my throat, and I close my eyes, trying not to cry.

"It's okay..." He rushes to my side. "Why don't you change into something more comfortable and head to bed?"

Nodding, I go to the chest of drawers by my bed. In a sweet and gentlemanly gesture, Asher turns around, giving me the privacy to change. My fingers fumble with the clasp of my dress as I peel it off, and a few minutes later, I hastily change into a soft, oversized T-shirt and a pair of comfortable lounge pants.

When I'm ready, I clear my throat, subtly signaling to Asher that he can turn back around.

As his eyes meet mine, a mix of heartbreak and longing lingers in his gaze, reminding me of simpler times when we were just kids trying to find our way into the world.

"Are you feeling any better?" He takes a step closer, his gaze locked onto mine.

His genuine concern warms my heart, and I muster a small smile. "Yes, much better, thanks."

"Good." He nods, reaching out to tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear. His touch sends a shiver down my spine, and I can't help but lean into him, craving the comfort and stability he freely offers. Because, despite all the challenges in our past, there's an unmistakable connection between us that's just hard to ignore.

"Ash...." I swallow hard, my voice barely above a whisper. "Can you stay with me for a while? I don't want to be alone right now."

Without hesitation, he slips off his shoes and sheds his tuxedo jacket. My heart is racing as I sink into bed, my gaze fixed on him—unable to look away. In the dim light of my room, he looks so impossibly handsome; I need to remind myself of the ground rules we established just a few days ago.

In an instant, he settles onto the bed beside me, his presence a comforting anchor. There's no time for awkwardness as he smoothly wraps his arm around me, pulling me close. A faint smile plays on my lips when he skillfully repositions us, allowing me to rest my head against his chest.