Chapter Twenty- Six: Visions & Views

{Louis' POV}

For children, happiness is by far more important than pride. They tell one another that they don't want to play with each other anymore, but three minutes later they're sharing toys and laughing together again. It's rare to not see a genuinely happy child.

"And this is our Neonatal ICU," Dr Erin Callan tells me as I follow her into another part of the paediatric ward at the local hospital. I decided to go and see all the children like we used to do when One Direction was in full swing. I always loved going and playing with the children, talking to the parents, helping out the doctors, and holding the tiny adorable babies.

My eyes scan around the room filled with parents sitting down next to their babies. Babies of all different sizes inside their open or enclosed incubators or cribs. Some attached up to multiple tubes and cords, some to only a few.

Dr Callan introduces me to multiple different parents and babies and when we get to the last one Dr Callan lifts the little lad out of the open crib and carefully passes him to me.

"This is one of our little fellas," Dr Callan tells me as I look at the gorgeous and extremely alert baby in my arms. "He is now two and a half months old after being born three and a half months premature on August the second. His Dad died before his Mum found out she was pregnant and the poor woman sadly passed in childbirth," Dr Callan explains to me. Oh.....

"This little guy though, he is a champion! I reckon he'll be out of the NICU in another four weeks or so and then maybe someone might want to adopt him. Apparently people want healthy babies who don't have half as much energy, strength or happiness as this little one," Dr Callan rubs his head gently.

"No one wants to adopt him?" I ask, shocked at how no one could want such a gorgeous baby.

"No. And he doesn't even have a name," Dr Callan informs me. That's stupid? What the heck? People should take him in. This guy is a real little fighter.... and he is so beautiful.

I look down at his big brown eyes as he lets out a squeak and flashes me a bright gummy smile. I smile back at him, a small laugh escaping my mouth as I play with his brown ringlets on top of his head. He has quite a head of hair for a little boy. But he is just so gorgeous.

"You could give him a name," Dr Callan says and I look at her in shock. "Don't look like you've seen a ghost. It's unfair enough that no one wants to adopt him. He might as well have a name."

"But, that isn't my decision to make!" I reply in shock.

"Louis, you're the only person besides nurses or doctors who's held him since he was born. Give him a name," Dr Callan smiles. "I'll be back soon."

I watch her walk off and then look back down at the little fella in my arms. The name I pick for him is going to be the name that he will have for the rest of his life.

I pull my phone out of my pocket with my spare hand and open it up to the phone app, hitting my last call and then holding the phone to my ear whilst I pull faces at the baby and he laughs, his arms moving from excitement.

"Hello," Perrie answers in a much calmer voice than a few days ago.

"Give me a boy's name."

"What?" Perrie asks.

"Quick! Give me a nice boys name. First and middle!"

"Um, I don't know, um," Perrie mumbles.

"Perrie! C'mon!" I hurry her.

"Henry James!" Perrie replies quickly.

Henry James ..... I look down at the happy baby in my arms who is now chewing at his hand whilst his big brown eyes gaze up into mine. Henry. It's perfect for him.