Chapter One: Wait a Lifetime

Sort of important author's note at end! 

7th January 2022. Same day as the end of the last book.

{Zayn's POV}

Have you ever had the feeling when you sense something has gone wrong? That sickening sense that somebody you love has been hurt, or you can tell that something bad is going to happen. It's not a nice feeling if ever experienced. And it is truly incredible how things can change in the blink of an eye.

"Liam, pass me the cheese please." Louis says to Liam as we eat our pasta. My eyes cross over to the clock and I notice it's been an two hours and a half since Perrie called me to say she was an hour away. I'm starting to think something might have happened, but I'm kind of hoping not- that she just got caught in traffic.

My mind is also tossing and turning over the fact that Eleanor just left Louis. Got up and walked out, taking her clothes, car and nothing else and just leaving him a note. No real explanation. I have a feeling Perrie knew why too, but I cannot be certain.

The sound of the intercom ringing buzzes through the room and everyone shoots one another quizzical looks. I jump up and walk over to the intercom that's rested on the wall, having a look at the people at the front gates. Police. Fuck, what have we done?

I press the gate open button and then wander back over to the table but without sitting down, my mind too busy flicking through multiple different reasons why they could be here. Never actually getting the right one.

"Who is it?" Harry asks before placing another mouthful of pasta into his wide opened mouth.

"Police." I reply and everyone looks at me with silence filling the room. I just shrug my shoulders and Liam and Jesy jump up too as the door has a thumping sound pounded against it.

My feet slowly carry me towards the door and I take a deep breath as my shaking hand wraps around the cool metal door handle. Jesy and Liam wait in the opening to the entry hall whilst I swing the door towards myself, so I am now faced with a male and female police offer.

"Mr. Malik?" The lady asks and I nod my head slowly, the lump in my throat indicated when I swallow. "Zayn?" She checks to make sure she has the right one and I nod my head in confirmation again.

"There's been an accident." The man tells me and I feel everything inside me close up as my breathing becomes restricted. Perrie and Ellie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My feet carry me as fast as I can across the hospital car park as I dodge the parked cars, trying not to hit them. The baby bag keeps hitting my right thigh as I run along with the bag strung across my shoulders and Lillie and Rosie in one arm each.

I'm fighting the tears back as Louis, Jesy and Leigh sprint along next to me. It's dark out and the others are also coming but not just yet, only us three and the twins for now.

We arrive at the emergency doors panting and walk straight up to the counter. My head is pounding, my heart beating fast, there's a giant lump in my throat and all I cannot seem to process much. 

"P- Perrie Edwards, E- Ell- Ellie Malik." I stutter to the woman behind the counter after she asks who I'm here for. She then gets up and leads me down the coridoor as the other three follow behind. 

How could this happen? Perrie and Ellie weren't supposed to be in a car crash. They were supposed to arrive home safely and be with Lillie, Rosie and I. I was in a fucking car crash and I know what it's like. If anything I should've been in another one, not Perrie and Ellie. I'm supposed to protect them!